Thread: Sexing Cresties

Thanks

Default Sexing Cresties

A quick question that probably comes up often,and is maybe worthy of slapping me about for not using the search function more often...but sometimes conflicting ideas come about purely because I can't just type my whole question into a search box

My bigger baby (Pasta) is now about 6 months old give or take,probably on the older side of 6 months.I can't tell you wieght,I'm awaiting digiscales on arriving,but length including tail is 14.5cm with a good body structure,nice and robust without being a chub.I have never been confident on looking for pores,I can see them on my adult male but on little Geckos who like to bounce around my fingers it's not so easy.I've tried placing Pasta on a sheet of glass then looking underneath with good light and a magnifying glass but do not see pores like on the adult male.Pasta does have a bit of a bulge though,so this is where my real question comes in....

I've read females should not have a destinguishable bulge,but there should still be one on females right?Just not pronounced to the point where it "hangs out" lol.Pasta has this,and I cannot see pores atall,so at this age/size,would it be usually normal for a male to have these features easily seen with the eye,or should I give it a couple of months longer?

I'll get in before "useless without pics",I'll try and get a shot of Pasta later from the side,but underneath will be difficult

Thanks

I can't really say anything without some good pictures but my guess is, if it is only 6 months and showing a bulge then it is a male. I had a 6 month old male and he had the slightest bulge and you couldn't see pores on him without a loupe, and even then they were barely visible. I guess it also depends on how much it weighs... So in my opinion, without seeing pictures, your little guy is a boy but I think you should try to get some photos of the gecko and post it

Thanks

Very helpful,thanks

I'll try and get a scan picture of the area later,if Pasta decided to keep still.

Thanks

Bah,nomatter what I do the pictures/scans will not show the area well enough.I've tried strong magnifying glass but I still can't see pores,but nonetheless I'm going to cheerily accept male

Normals pics of Pasta and the other 2 to come soon.

Thanks

Maybe cheerily accept unsexed lol until you are sure

Thanks

Spoilsport :P

I know what you mean,but I'm kinda hoping for a male on hand because I'll then have 2 outstandingly nice male cresties...but on the other I dont have a female yet anyway lol.Thankyou for your help again

Thanks

A way to try and get pore pics on rather mobile geckos is to put them in a plastic kritter keeper, the take the pic. Being in there they are free to move and from all angles unless they feel the need to be on the lid, you can easily take a pic of the area where the pores would be.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thanks Melissa,I gave that a go but all I got was flash hitting off the plastic.If I tried to change camera angle to get that area without then it would be unfocused and with no flash just no good lighting atall.I'll crack it though,you see if I don't