Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny Idea for Shipping (could it possibly work?)

Thanks

Default Funny Idea for Shipping (could it possibly work?)

Hi all,
    so today I went to pick up my mail from the post office (USPS), I got to thinking....since the "flat rate boxes" are free to take, could I just use them for shipping my reptiles? The Large flat rate box (12x12x5.5) is great for shipping my cresties...not only that, ITS FREE! lol. As soon as I came home, I googled whether or not it was illegal to use the flat rate boxes for shipping with another compay like UPS or Fedex, I found that as long as you pay the carrier you're shipping with (UPS or FedEx) it really didn't matter. I flipped the box inside out and put it back together....now it looks just like any average shipping box, except it has so much more space to write. LOL I'm thinking about posting pictures. The only thing is, if I received a box that was flipped inside out...I would wonder lol. Oh yea, the reason why I flipped the box inside out is because if I was to ever use it, I wouldn't want people thinking I use USPS to ship my reptiles (No way!). Haha it was fun, whatcha guys think?
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

I feel much safer being able to insulate my boxes for cold and hot weather shipping. With that flat rate box that will be really hard to do considering they are only so wide. I am all for saving money when I can, but I will always ship with insulated boxes when I can over anything else and that is for the safety of the animal more than anything else. Not to mention that box is fairly flimsy and it would not take much for it to get a little beat up. Case in point my cgd comes in those boxes and several times the box was collapsed in on itself but still together. If there had been a gecko in there I am not so sure it would have made it.

Thanks

Ya i was thinking if i ever need to ship a gecko i might use the Omaha steak containers i have laying around. Big thick Styrofoam containers ... almost like an old school beer cooler.

Thanks

I personally buy my own insulation and make an insulated box the same way you would get them when ordering boxes online.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Actually if you look right on the boxes it says:
    This packaging is the property of the U.S. Postal Service and is provided solely for use in sending Priority Mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law.
    Carrie
    Morphs to the Max
    www.morphstothemax.com

Thanks

Thanks

Yea it does say that on the box, I didn't see the "solely for use in sending Priority mail", maybe I misread it. Hmm, well it was just a fun thing. I also buy my own insulation.
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

Someone should make a sticky about how to ship reptiles.
    Crested Geckos 1.1.0Leopard Geckos 1.4.1 R.I.P Buddy Yellow Lab!

Thanks

Yea, haha they should. It'll be interesting, but Julie's (GeckoRanch) sticky is very informative on Repashy Forums. I love it and have learned a lot from her.
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

if you look on king snake a lot of the breeders say they ship with the flat rate boxes, or maybe its just 1 breeder. So i guess there being bad lol