Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gecko meet alligator lizard

Thanks

well hopefully the two lizards at least have similar care requirements and you have a huge cage. normally i'm all for experimentation, because without it you cant discover new ways of doing things, but from what i've seen on other forums is people post a thread saying they're doing this, and then we never hear from them again, which i assume means they failed miserably and are too embarrassed to come back.

Thanks

in my honest opinion this person honestly knows the risks and is willing to take them carelessly, they posted that. And there trying to get some kind of weird attention by posting this, because they clearly said i no im going to get chewed out for this. Well, then why would u share? just my opinion

Thanks

I must agree with most of these guys in that these critters should not be put together, well just a bad idea in general, but don't they have different enviornmental needs? Again horror stories I have heard of, I know somebody that kept a bearded dragon and leopard gecko together for months with out any issues, then ... the leopard gecko got eaten and these two critters have similar environmental needs. Just not a good idea to put to foreign species to gether in the same tank.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

well i'm not ashamed. there i said it. lol. and no my skink/alligator lizard isn't the tank size of a blue tongue either. my lizard has a dinky head and isn't much bigger than my gecko. thick body a bit but tiny head. smaller than the crested. i feed the alligator (basically a small skink) every other day and it's requirements are similar to the crested. room temp a drop in temp for evening. i use a household 40 watt shining thru on the bottom side for the alligator lizard and an old reptisun 10.0 bulb on top (year old). temps are around 75 and a 69 for nighttime. not concerned at the moment but i'm still in the experiment phase. so far so good. and no the skink won't eat the other. impossible. more like the other way around in a year. lol. by then i might move one out. both are climbers. just one has suction though. the alligator lizard isn't mean or vicious and i've observed a bit so far on the two together.

Thanks

I keep both species, however, mine is a Northern Alligator lizard, which are native to my area down south thru NorCal. I don't know which species of Alligator lizard you are keeping, (I think there are 3 or so species in the Western US and the Mexican one is simply amazing, I really hope you don't have one of those and are housing it with the gecko!) so I can't say whether your species has the same/similar habitat requirements.
    Mine is pretty similar, liking cold and seasons, however, being diurnal, it needs some UVB. Alli lizards are primarily insect eaters and burrowers.

I personally think the OP is jumping the gun in keeping these two together especially without a quarantine period for them, I think a very good point was brought up about pathogens/parasites.
    It makes me think that the OP is a kid who hasn't fully done their research and does have to go though some "hard knocks" to hopefully learn better husbandry and practice in keeping his reptiles.
    Sadly, as stated, its the animals who will most likely suffer.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Mod note: Please keep it to discussion and not stuff like "lol I hope your lizard gets eaten," that's not the kind of atmosphere we want here. Try to be helpful and courteous even if you disagree with someone.

Also keep in mind we have a rule against text speak like "u" and "ppl" - you might find your posts deleted. Keep it professional, folks.

Thanks

You do realize the chances of your alligator lizard being captive bred and NOT having parasite your that your crested gecko can easily get from it? Alligator lizards are rarely captive bred and more then likely does have internal parasites that your crested gecko could get from housing them together.

Most alligator species do require a mugh higher basking area then crested geckos really enjoy, so do please keep this in mind that your gecko is not going to enjoy the 85-90 degree basking area. Most alligator lizards get to be a decent size compaired to your crested gecko ( the smallest species gets around 12-14") and although they are getting along fine, it is not to say a month or more down the road that will still be true. And being that large that is almost twice the size of your crested gecko, so it could do alot of damage to it.

And a general rule of herpers is not to mix species. There is a reason for this. Not all species get along, even if they have a general like habitat, remember in the wild reptiles do not hang out together, either different species try to avoid each other (unless one is trying to eat the other), or if the same species they get together for breeding then go their seperate ways. We has humans are social and think our reptiles need friends and they really do not. And then to top it off mixing something that I am 99.9% sure is wild caught with a captive bred of a different species really is quite simply not in the best interest of either animal.

I hope you realize we are not all telling you its a horrible idea simply because we can. We do it because many of us know the outcome of mixing different species together from different areas. It would be different if you were doing to species native to the area, at least if they were wild caught then they both would be used to it. But just because you also have 2 wild caughts and from 2 different areas still doesnt mean housed them together, you have to realize they can have different requirements and possibably not even have the same parasites thus making eachother even more ill and stressed. What we are telling you is truth and trying to look at whats is in the best interest of your animals even if they are seeming to get along, not because we want to attack you because we dont agree with it.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI