Thread: Heating a KK ...?

Thanks

Default Heating a KK ...?

I was planning on possibly setting up a baby 3gram Crested in a medium KK. However, my house doesn't have central heating and the temperatures in the warmest room in the house drops down below the 60s at night, and barely makes it up to 70 in the day. I was wondering what the best way to heat a KK would be. Thanks in advance.
    1.1.0 E. agricolae

Thanks

I would go with a heat lamp possibly...or, a small space heater next to the KK.

Just be very careful to monitor temperatures once you set it up. You don't want to go too far the other way.
    1.0.0 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus: Mitsurugi
    1.0.0 Rescue Leo: Mr. Wiggles (please visit this thread, I need all the help I can get)

Dreaming of that face again, It's bright and blue and shimmering... Grinning wide and comforting me with its three warm and wild eyes Third Eye -- tool

Thanks

Various companies (ZooMed for instance) make "mini" undertank heaters that work pretty well for kritter keepers. If you hook a rhinostat to it, you can get pretty good control of the temperature of the tank. They pads are small enough that you can even create a thermal gradient.

Thanks

I think they have these super small heat pads that are actually for hermit crabs. I would think maybe that would work with a thermostat, and set it to like 70-75. You should also put alot of cover over the heat pad, like have a plant over it or even a hide, so they feel safe while their also warming up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G3ko View Post
    I think they have these super small heat pads that are actually for hermit crabs. I would think maybe that would work with a thermostat, and set it to like 70-75. You should also put alot of cover over the heat pad, like have a plant over it or even a hide, so they feel safe while their also warming up.
    I considered saying this last night, BUT adding a thermostat adds alot of cost to a simple set up AND ZooMeds site says UTHs should only be used with Glass enclosures. So im not sure how good of an idea that is /shrug

Thanks

Its perfectly fine to use a heat pad on a KK. In fact, I just bought one and right on the back they show a picture of the heat pad clearly on a KK. Instead of using a thermostat you can purchase a light dimmer and control the amount of heat that way. I just bought the hermit crab heat pad, because it appears it may give off less heat than the traditional heat pads. Ill let you know how it goes.