Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success With Dubias?

Thanks

Default Success With Dubias?

I've had my dubia colony for a while now (I dunno... 6 or 8 months?), but I'm still not sure where I'm going with it. I have 15-20 geckos (mostly cresteds and then 2 leos and 1 gargoyle) and one bearded dragon. I guess my plan was to feed most of the dubias to my beardie and leos, and then once a week or so feed some dubias to the cresteds. However, no one is showing much interest. I don't think it's the taste as much as the fact that they don't move much. I put them in and they just stay still or hide, so they don't stimulate a feeding response in my animals. Anyone else had this problem? It just seems like none ever disappear and I have to go and recover them, or I find them around my house. Can't decide whether it's worth keeping them.

Thanks

Dubia have a lot of good things going for them as a feeder insect, but their hiding antics aren't one of them! (can't blame them for being smarter than crickets) The majority of my geckos readily take dubia when they see them.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

To be honest with you it really comes down to the individual in my experience. Some of my geckos love them and others couldn't care less. My terrestrial geckos (the fat tails and Leopard) all absolutely love them but the Rhacs are less interested. I have one Chewie who loves them and one who absolutely refuses to even look at them, despite being a voracious pig with crickets.

About half the cresties like them, and the other half do not.

I am surprised to hear of a bearded dragon that does not like them. When I had beardies they would eat anything that moved! Do you dust them with calcium? The repashy calcium with D3 has a fruity smell and I think my geckos are more inclined to eat them when they are covered in the dust. I have noticed that when stressed the adult Dubia seem to release some sort of stank onion-ish smell...I would imagine that could be a turn off to predators, but the calcium would probably cover it.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
    To be honest with you it really comes down to the individual in my experience. Some of my geckos love them and others couldn't care less. My terrestrial geckos (the fat tails and Leopard) all absolutely love them but the Rhacs are less interested. I have one Chewie who loves them and one who absolutely refuses to even look at them, despite being a voracious pig with crickets.

About half the cresties like them, and the other half do not.

I am surprised to hear of a bearded dragon that does not like them. When I had beardies they would eat anything that moved! Do you dust them with calcium? The repashy calcium with D3 has a fruity smell and I think my geckos are more inclined to eat them when they are covered in the dust.
    Very interesting to hear that they seem to like the D3 dusted better. I'll have to try that. Yeah, I have been dusting them, but I don't think I've tried with D3. I don't think it's that he (the beardie) doesn't like them, it's just that nothing is so motion oriented as a beardie, and they just don't seem to move enough. When I first dump them in, he seems interested, but then they stop moving or they hide under his paper towel. They crickets are dumber and just keep hopping and moving around, so he loves those.

I've thought about taking out the lizards one by one and putting them in a KK with some roaches to see if they take to them, but for one thing some of my lizards won't eat outside of their tanks, and for another it isn't a long term solution. I just need for this to be convenient or else I will end up selling these guys off.

Thanks

What I do when I feed mine is put the roaches on their back. They will normally after a bit of time, start wiggling their legs and will attract attention.
    My younger geckos sometimes have a hard time catching them, they will strike and the roach will kind of skitter across the KK away from them. On the back works good for a few reasons

My beardie loves his roaches and seems to pout if he does not get them and has to eat his veggies

Thanks

Dusted with D3 and laying on their backs will be my next attempt

Thanks

On their backs is often what I do too, as the scrambling legs attract attention. They are pretty quick when they get moving!

Thanks

You may want to read this before you start dusting/giving your beardie Calcium with D3 every day:

http://repticzone.com/forums/Bearded...s/2093166.html

It's been a while since I had dragons, so I forgot that they don't really need the D3 like rhacs do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
    You may want to read this before you start dusting/giving your beardie Calcium with D3 every day:

http://repticzone.com/forums/Bearded...s/2093166.html

It's been a while since I had dragons, so I forgot that they don't really need the D3 like rhacs do.
    Thanks for the link. I don't use a mecury vapor bulb. Just have a regular UVB strip light. As of right now, I am still under the impression that it would be okay to give him D3 dusted roaches once per week. If this sounds like a bad idea then please correct me because I wouldn't want to hurt my beardie.

Thanks

Beardies do require the calcium with the D3 in it. The UVB bulbs are there needed for the metabolism of the D3, without it then you have the major issues which is why so many people dont know if they should offer it or not to offer it to reptiles with UVB. The amount needed varies per age.

I have been blessed, over the last 11 years I have only had 1 picky eater of a bearded dragon, and that was because she had such poor eyesight. My girl now, moving or not she wants to eat it!
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI