Thread: Some kind of Dubia circus?

Thanks

Default Some kind of Dubia circus?

Last night before I went to bed I noticed the most peculiar behavior in my Dubia and wanted to ask if anyone else has seen anything similar.

Typically they are very quiet and I can only hear the faint noise of them scurring around the egg cartons. Last night, all at once, there was such loud popping and banging that I thought it was raining very hard on my window. I sat up for a minute and then looked out my window and didn't see anything going on.

When I realized that it wasn't rain I looked in my Dubia tub and saw all of the adult males chasing each other around in circles at the speed of light. They were running, popping up and down, and jumping against the top of the bin like popcorn. It was really bizarre to look in and see only males engaging in this type of behavior. My colony is typically very quiet and I have never heard anything like this before.

What exactly happened?
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

That is so weird... do you know what your male:female ratio is?
    Kevin and Steph
    http://www.sadlerreptiles.com
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks

Probably 1/3 males to 2/3 females, so I know I have room to thin down, but I wonder if that explains the odd behavior.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

I've never paid attention to whether it was just males or not, but yeah I've had random mass stampedes in the dubia bin at various times. Makes quite a racket. I'm really not sure what triggers it.

Gary
    Gary Hamann
    Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Thanks

Very strange behavior indeed. I only have my dubia colony for less than 3 months, but never saw or heard anything strange coming from their bin.

I would be curious to find out what actually happened.

Thanks

Mine are so loud they keep me up, I can hear them outside my room, usually the males are running around, females not so much.. Don't know what makes them do it..
    Ariel- 20/F/WA
    iHerp
    Website
    9.11.0.2 Crested Geckos//1.2.5.5 Tokay Gecko//1.0.0 Day Gecko
    1.0.0 White spot gecko//0.2.0 Rose Hair Tarantulas
    1.1.0 Suntiger Tarantula//0.0.1 Versi color
    0.0.1 Regalis//0.1.O THRIXOPELMA OCKERTI
    0.1.0 Hairless Rat//0.1.0 Albino Rat//1.0.0 Betta//2.1.0 Cats//0.0.1 Pac Man Frog

Thanks

wow 1 or 2 to 3 females? thats a heck of a lot of males IMO, I try and keep mine in the roughly 1:5 ratio, I see waaaaaaaay more production from them than when I had a 1:3. but that is odd I've never seen mine do that, how big is your tub? oh yeah, I use a 5.5 gallon tank containing maybe 1000 different size nymphs and roughly 50 adults with egg crate for hiding
    1 man dreamed of becoming, another awoke and became

7.10.7.11 crested geckos
    0.1 gargoyle gecko (fry)
    1.0 leopard gecko (lucky)
    0.1 (I think) ocelated skink (slinky)

Thanks

The same thing happened to me about a week or two ago......I was thinking its the female male ratio. I need to add some more females I think.
    STEVEN

Thanks

That is a very common behavior that I had seen many times with my colony. They will chase off competing males biting and nipping their wings when they can even mimicking mating movements in what seems to be a small display of dominance. It has nothing to do with the male female ratio imo.
    It is really comical when there are several males running and jumping around. When they decide to fly that is even better lol.