Thread: Interesting Chahoua behavior...

Thanks

Default Interesting Chahoua behavior...

I know there have been plenty of conversations on here about the fact that these are reptiles, not mammals, and do not generally like being touched or handled but I have discovered something new with Goliath that I figured I would inquire about. Perhaps some of the experts can chime in...

I take him out every night (as he bangs on the lid of his cage and walks across it until I do) and on Wednesday night I set him on my desk while I was doing homework. He can be a little flightey at times but it seems like he enjoys having his neck scratched. If I take my thumb and index finger and "massage" either side of the back of his head he doesn't move at all and will sit there until I stop.

Well, with the same fingers I started massaging either side of his belly very gently, and all the sudden he completely dropped down and started wiggling the end of his tail. He completely flattened his body out and his legs were completely limp at either side and he was twirling the end of his tail around like a worm. He will stay in this position as long as I am rubbing his "ribs" and then when I stop he kind of perks back up and will continue exploring.

At first I thought that he liked it, but then I wondered if this was a defensive gesture of some sort. I am inclined to say no since he lays there practically lifeless with his legs splayed out on either side, but the tail twitching is odd to me. I know that other gecko species twitch their tails when they feel threatened, hoping that a predator will go for that instead of a vital body part, but if Goliath felt threatened I think he would run, not drop down like a tired puppy.

Any thoughts?
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Welcome to the world of the chahoua!

I love these guys for those reasons you listed there, about Goliaths behavior!

All mine have favorite spots where they love to be rubbed! When the tail twitches like that, put a finger down in the middle of the coil, and he'll grab onto your finger. Mine love to be rubbed on their sides, on the back, and under the chin!

Oh, and I have 4 chahouas that do LIKE to come out of the cage. They will come to the front glass door, and walk across the glass until I take them out!! They are very happy to come out, and some of them don't like going back into the cages. When I try to get them off me, hehe, they will jump back up my arm and try to crawl back onto me.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has really sweet, well behaved chahoua.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

I'd probably have to see it myself, and I have no experience with chahouas, but I've seen one of my cresties do that and it definitely struck me as a defensive gesture. It's definitely a weird sight.

Thanks

If a crestie did this I would most certainly think it was defensive, but the Chahouas just act so different all together that I really think Goliath actually enjoys it. My cresteds are jumpy and neurotic compared to the chewies.

His personality is such that if he wants to go somewhere or do something or not be held, he will do exactly what he wants. For him to completely puppy-dog down like that and lay there makes me think he actually enjoys it. It sounds weird to say but I think he and I have a mutual understanding of each other.

I know a lot of people might read that and think I am nuts, but we have a certain bit of trust established, I think.

Thanks

You aren't nuts at all for saying that Michael! I feel 100% the same way about my chahouas, and the understanding that we have between each other!

I can always tell when one doesn't want to be held, or when one does!
    I can tell when they are ready to go back into the cage, or if they want to stay out longer. Sometimes I'll even know the feeling once I open the cage door and peek in to see how they are doing. Sometimes they come right out to me and act like "oh pick me! oh pick me!" ... sometimes they run to the back and act like "don't touch me!"

I totally get what you are saying... and it's an amazing thing with the chahouas! For me, it's why they are by far my favorite of the Rhacs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie

Thanks

I'm glad someone else agrees with me . I'm not crazy, I promise!

Thanks

You guys are both crazy! I wanna be crazy to! Ive been wanting a chahoua bad lately.
    STEVEN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crestedkeeper View Post
    You guys are both crazy! I wanna be crazy to! Ive been wanting a chahoua bad lately.
    Hehe... yeah... we're just crazy for chahoua!
    Can't get enough chahoua once you own them!

I hope you get one Steven!! They are a lot of fun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie

Thanks

Hahaa, you can say that again! It will happen one day, maybe one of your hatchlings.....:th_love:
    STEVEN