Thread: Urgent Milli question

Thanks

Exclamation Urgent Milli question

I have two large millipedes in my one breeder tank (Cresties) the female has been digging in the substrate, possibly getting ready to lay eggs. Will the millipedes harm/eat the crestie eggs????

Thanks

Millipedes are normally detritivores, meaning they eat degrading and rotting material like leaves, sticks, etc. They shouldn't harm your eggs...but to be honest, I wouldn't take the chance. I'd either remove the eggs as soon as possible, or get the millipeds out before she lays eggs.
    Kyle J. Salzmann
    Check out Gekkonidazed Geckos on Facebook!
    www.gekkonidazed.com
    New to shipping reptiles? Use ShipYourReptiles.com and save! Enter code Dazed40 at checkout and get 40% off your 1st shipment!

Thanks

Hmm, well, I wouldn't think so, since they are a vegetarian sort of bug?
    3.6.3 R. ciliatus; 0.1 R. leachianus; 1.1.1 G. gecko; 1.0 G. ulikovskii
    0.1 Heterodon nasicus
    1.1 Eumeces schneideri; 0.0.3 Bombina orientalis; 0.0.2 Archispirostreptus gigas

Thanks

Cin, why dont you just take the millis out until you find the eggs if your worried.
    2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
    1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
    1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cslinca View Post
    Cin, why dont you just take the millis out until you find the eggs if your worried.
    I guess I should just take them out, it is just they are in the biggest house and quite happy there and I really don't know where else to move them to.

Never thought of it when I put the cresties in there. I might just have to move the breeding pair into a different cage....the soil mixture and depth is just working so well for the millies. I always had juvies in that cage with the millies.
    I would think I would find any eggs laid in a day or two, but there is that chance of missing them and the millies getting to them first if they are so inclined to munch on eggs.

Crud

Thanks

couldnt you just take them out and take some of the soil and put them in a kk temporarily until you find eggs and then put them back?
    1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
    1.2 KSBoa

Thanks

I suppose I could place in temporary housing for now.

I got this pair of cresties from a friend and they had already been put together for the season. She had not been placed with a male last year. I saw here digging in the soil tonight and the one millies was in and out of one of his holes and I was like, hmm....that might not be good to have them in there with eggs! Never thought of possible issues/problems when I put the crestie pair in there!

I think this week, I will just have to find another tank and redo the soil in it so the millies can live there.

Thanks

hmm yea never thought about millies and eggs before, I have a couple millies in with my smaller geckos. But they are also pretty small. I know your millies are quite big so I dont know. Yea I guess just to be safe maybe take them out for a couple days.
    1.2 KSBoa