Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the CON'S of owning a Leachie?

Thanks

Default What are the CON'S of owning a Leachie?

Well, I don't own a leachie just yet and I am thinking of purchasing one at the White Plains, NY reptile show at the end of this month. From all of my research so far I have yet to read anything about the con's of owning one. Almost all owners have nothing but good things to say about their leachies, but I never seen anyone ask about the bad side of them.
    Given that so many people like owning them one would think they are a great pet to have. I am still curious about the drawbacks of owning one. Is there anyone out there that has bad experiences with owning a leachie? Is there anyone that has owned a leachie and they got rid of it because they didn't like it?
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

although I have not owned a leachie, I have certainly read about some cons of owning them here on the pangea forum. First of all, these are not small geckos. Sure, they start out small like other Rhac. species, but they do not stay there. An adult leachie needs at least an 18x18x24 tank, perhaps larger. Caging this large can be pricey and may be hindrance to some.

I have also heard that as leachies age they may become aggressive. This aggression may manifest as displaying threat postures towards humans, chasing and biting hands and arms that enter their territory, and just generally being hard to handle. Now, a crested gecko bite may not hurt, but leachies can put the bite on you if they so choose. This is something to consider if you are thinking of purchasing a gecko that can get up to a foot in length.

Although some may not see this as a con, I do personally. Leachies are expensive!! You're talking easily over $500 for a juvenile and much higher for an adult animal. Now you have to go buy a big cage for your expensive gecko and plenty of food to keep it happy. The dollar signs are racking up my friend!

I hope that helps a little. Keep in mind, I haven't owned a leachie before. This is all stuff I have heard other owners mention before.

Thanks

Two things that I have heard:

1) Their poop can clear out a room, quick

2) Their bite really hurts compared to many other species
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Thanks guys.
    Leachies large size is what I find appealing about them. The large cage isn't an issue for me, I build all of my cages myself. The reason I am considering buying a new reptile is because I just built a new cage from the scrap wood I had left over from building my cresties cage. The new cage is 22.5" l x 12" w x 30" h, so I am looking for another semi-arboreal species.
    I did not know they became more aggressive with age, I assumed they calmed down a bit with frequent handling... so thats a good thing to know. I also didn't know they were prone to biting, thats a turn off.
    I agree their price is a turn off as well, but I've spent more money on some of my other pets. But as with my other pets I began saving up a couple of months ago so I've got a little pet fund stashed away.
    As for the amount of food they eat, I was kind of viewing them as a "garbage disposal" for all of the food I would normally toss away from my cresties. Although I don't mix up alot of food for them, I still throw away a bit of it. Plus I have a bag of CGD that's hitting a year old already... I should probably stop buying so many flavors.
    One thing I have never heard before was the smelly poop issue. That is a major turn off. I already fight with the odors in my room, I'm not into the "zoo" smell that accumulates over time.
    Do you guys know if their poop comes out in the pellet form that crestie poop comes out in?
    Again thanks for the imput.... I'm trying to make a responsible purchase here. :-)

Thanks

I have to say the cons are the poops I have had geckos lose ten grams after a movement and the bite there bites can be really bad.

Thanks

I can attest to aggression and posturing happening more frequently as my leachie ages. The other thing is, they can go on hunger strikes, especially if you move them to too large a cage! There is conflicting info out there regarding a good cage size for adult leachies, but it has been my experience that they actually do better (as juveniles for sure) in smaller cages. Mine stopped eating for almost two months when I upgraded her, and she started eating again when I re-down graded her to her old Kritter Keeper. She does not like change!!
    She will growl and snap but I thankfully have not been bitten by her yet. I have been bitten by a small garg, and that hurt like hell and drew blood, so I have a very very healthy respect for the capabilities of a leachie bite. I also have Tokays, so I do know what geckos can be capable of!
    While Francis' poo doesnt' smell too bad, she really can lay some giant ones. I'm expecting it'll only get more fun as she grows up! (she's only about a year and a half old right now.) She's not interested in bugs yet either.
    That said, I didn't find her too expensive, she's a Pine Isle and cost me about $250, but she was a teeny baby, about 7 grams when I got her. Leachie prices will vary depending on purity of locale, your local market and availability, and competition from breeders. I have seen mixed locale hatchlings selling as cheap as $125, and pure locales up to $5 or 600 bucks.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

The price of admission is definitely a slight bummer, especially if you want to get into locale specific animals.

As mentioned leachies can display very poor dispositions, individual temperments will vary though. And with many individuals the aggression is usually only in their cages. Most will become quite placid once removed from enclosures.

In regards to the feces....This to me is the only true drawback to owning them as nasty tempers don't bother me. Nothing worse than being crapped on by a leachie that weighs well over 100 grams. Besides the quantity and smell, leachie poo tends to run on the loose side, especially with larger animals.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

I really do love having my leachies, and are my faves among the Rhacs. Basically my cons are pretty much the same as what everyone else has already stated, but I feel that it is manageable so not that big a deal. I'll try to list some things that I figure would be cons, even if I don't think so:

Whenever held and not wanting to be held, especially when they are closer to the adult age, they generally poop within a few minutes of leaving the enclosure. Even though I expect them to poo, it still always comes as a surprise as they tend to do it when you least expect it. But once they've done it, they generally don't do it again.

I haven't had an issue with smell, but they do poop a lot and they love to dirty the glass (especially after you clean it). Being that they are bigger, their poops are bigger and it feels like they dirty their enclosure faster than the cresteds.

Some can get aggressive, but some do not, and from what I hear their bite is like getting bitten by a small dog. From the three adultish ones I have the male is gentle, one female is nice with me but goes after my boyfriend, and the other female is nasty all around. With the nasty one, we use a heavy duty glove or a towel to pull her out and once she's out she is just very jumpy. From what I hear, the island locales are less aggressive than the GT ones.

Leachies can eat quite a bit, sometimes two to three times more than a crested, so expect to run out of diet a lot sooner.

If you are a light sleeper and you plan to keep them in your bedroom, either keep them as far away from the bed as possible or work on getting used to night time barking. I love hearing the many different sounds they make, but some nights they can be noisier than a box of 1000 crickets. The breeder we got one of them from had mentioned that his neighbors would complain because it sounded like he had a pack of dogs that wouldn't shut up.

These guys are kind of weird when it comes to their care and needs. As stated earlier, they can go on hunger strikes when put into an new or bigger enclosure. They can also stop growing if their humidity is not quite right, and if you feed them too often they can grow faster and gain health issues (Think of a Great Dane that is fed too much as a puppy, these dogs would grow huge fast but wind up with really bad hearts).

This isn't an animal for the impatient, especially if you plan to breed, as they can take 2-5 years to get to adult size. Plus they can live for a really long time, so I'd imagine that some people wouldn't want that sort of commitment and try to go for something that would live as long.

Well that's what I can think of right now, hope this helps. can't wait to see what you bring back from the show

Thanks

I love my Leachies, I have a male and a female both in the 60ish grams
    My male has become cage agressive but once hes out hes fine. My female is a sweetie so far no probs with her. Mine live in my garage so I dont hear any noise and their poops are big but I have noticed a smell. They def do clean their bowls they are both great eaters. I also love the fact that they get really big.
    I think theres way more pros than cons, how can you not love a giant wrinkle bag pickle turd
    Have you condisered Chewies? They have a better temprement from my experience and also get quite big.
    Cant wait to see what you come home with.
    2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
    1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
    1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Thanks

I personally do not see a couple of the stated issues as cons. But of course to each their own, and this thread was not meant to be a debate? I dont think.
    I mean.. a catbox smells way worse then a leachianus poo. Or if you had a puppy and they pooed in the house....
    I will attest to smelly poo however. They also mark their territory which I believe also has to do with the build up of cage smell. If you remember to do frequent small cleanings and monthly deep cleanings you will be fine as far as smell. I dont like to let my crestie cages go for more then a week honestly without complete deep cleaning/sanitation due to smell. But again I don't mean to debate the issue.

A couple honest complaints I have about them are, they are not the most responsive animals, as far as the two I have, my little one will wake up, run around as soon as I bring him out of the cage, but my year and a half old female
    Will not be very responsive and I did not even pick her up for the first month I had her because she did not act like she wanted to move.

she has her days where she is more interactive with me, but as a whole not so much.

This also ties into feeding habits. Due to this Behavior they often will go on hunger strikes and so on. I hand feed my month old Leachie and my Year/half old Leachie Every other day, Because I never observe them getting enough food on their own. Maybe I am mistaken about their eating habits and over feed, but my girls seem happy and growing quickly, my older female has very solid stools unlike what she had when I first received her. Which I am very thankfull for, because they can project their poo ! LOL

Other then that, they are a really awesome animal I am pleased to have in my collection of R. Geckos. I will be getting more to.

Edit: Before I started hand feeding my older leachie she ate on her on just fine, I think it was when I switched her cage up to a bigger size she went on a hunger strike and ever since I feed her by hand because it gives me time to interact with her. The little one however does not seem to eat much on his/her own.