Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfie just doesn't like me

In the place that is never warm (England!)
    Thanks

Default Alfie just doesn't like me

I've had my male for about 6 months now. He's a fully grown male. I was told when i bought him that he wasn't handled much and i thought I could pursuade him to like me after some love and attention. But no. He always wees on me when i get him out and tries his very best to escape from my hands! I've tried hand feeding him crickets to create a bond, stroking his back etc. He sometimes sits still for a while in my hand, but then when he knows i'm not looking darts off!!

What can i do? Will he always be like this? Or is it just hormones because he can sense the females in the other tank nearby and he's getting impatient waiting til spring when i plan on breeding the oldest female?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I was told when i bought him that he wasn't handled much and i thought I could pursuade him to like me after some love and attention. But no.
    Might I kindly point out that cresties are not mammals, do not cuddle, and generally despise being touched in places they feel vulnerable? Handling is tolerable to them, but petting and stroking them sets off their instincts to run and hide, 'cause they think they're about to get eaten.

He always wees on me when i get him out..
    If he pees/poops on you, clean it up but don't put him back. If you put him back in the cage, you're encouraging his "bad behavior". He learns that when he's scared, he can pee, and then suddenly he's put back home and safe while you're cleaning up the mess. If a crestie of mine leaves a "surprise" on me, I hold them for 20 minutes longer so they do not associate going to the bathroom with going back home. Now, I don't get peed or pooped on hardly at all anymore, not like the way they used to every time I'd bring them out of their cages. They've learned that doesn't work with me.

Will he always be like this? Or is it just hormones...
    Some cresties are more skittish than others no matter what you do. I know of a crestie who's just plain insane and goes flying if you walk near its cage. He may be like this always, it may be hormones, or a combination of factors. There's no knowing, but if you're patient with him, gentle, and don't upset him, he might eventually learn that you're really truly not trying to eat him.

Best of luck!
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Thanks

i thought that being a male might have something to do with his behaviour. My 2 females are fine with being handled. If anything they seem to really enjoy coming out. My first female was very jumpy when i got her and now she's calmed down a lot. As for Alfie, I keep a tissue by my side every time i get him out and I never put him back when he does wee on me. He's never poo'd only wee'd.

Another thing I've noticed with Alfie is that sometimes he like wriggles his tail in quite an aggressive looking way when he's still in my hand. I hold him in my hand with my thumb over him loosely but not too loose that he can jump out easily. And when he does jump i move my hands like a tunnel.

thanks for the reply anyway

Thanks

awwww you know some cresties just dont like to be handled. I have a couple that just dont want to be bothered. Those guys I just pretty much leave a lone, take them out once in a while for a short time but thats it.
    2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
    1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
    1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Thanks

Just keep working with him and he might come around. I've had both of my girls since they were tiny and it took about a year for them to be comfortable enough to come out to visit, sometimes they even come out on their own.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

i thought that being a male might have something to do with his behaviour.
    It's an individual thing, not necessarily a male thing. I have males who love coming out and exploring outside their cage, and females who never want to be bothered.

Another thing I've noticed with Alfie is that sometimes he like wriggles his tail in quite an aggressive looking way when he's still in my hand.
    This is a final warning from the crestie that he's about to drop his tail because he's very afraid. When they rattle their tails, they're very very scared. If he rattles his tail at you, put him back immediately and leave him be for awhile to calm down and de-stress.

I hold him in my hand with my thumb over him loosely but not too loose that he can jump out easily. And when he does jump i move my hands like a tunnel.
    When I handle my geckos, I don't "hold" them in any way. I let them rest on my hand or my arm, or sometimes even my shoulder. I don't touch them, confine them, trap them, or squeeze them in any way, because that would scare the crap out of them if I did. If you just let him jump from hand to hand, don't cover him, but let him rest on you peacefully, slowly you'll earn his trust.
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Thanks

thankyou for the warning about the tail thing. That is worrying! I try to let him rest on my hand and arm and sometimes he can be ok but after a minute or 2 he'll dart off and i have to try and get him before he hurts himself. I'm worried about him loosing his tail now. Is it worth getting him out or should i just leave him be and only get him out when cleaning?

Thanks

Is it worth getting him out or should i just leave him be and only get him out when cleaning?
    Go ahead and bring him out every couple of days, or maybe once a week, for a few minutes at a time and try to gain his trust. He may drop his tail if he's one of the crazier geckos, and there's not a lot you can do to prevent it if he is, but it's better he gets used to you and learns you're really not out to eat him. If you need to clean his cage, he'll need to be able to accept some short periods of handling.

Thanks

when you are holding him. hand walk him. let him move from hand to hand, always having your other hand infront of him, or a couple inches away so he can jump on it. that way there is no restriction on his movement. But I must agree with the others. sometime you just have a psyco lizzie that just does not take to being handled
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

I have heard of a variety of people who feed their cresties in another container after taking them out. Usually, they do this to be sure the cresty does not ingest any of the substrate and to ensure the right amount of food is being eaten. But in your case, might he begin to associate being handled with his favourite food and therefore be a little more accepting of being taken out and being handled? Sort of a reward for being with you for awhile? If you do this, ensure the container has ventalation holes and is the appropriate size.

Just an idea.

Eric