Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "bend" at the base of the tail.

Thanks

Default "bend" at the base of the tail.

So this has come up in another thread and I thought to make its own thread, sorry if this has been discussed before as I didnt really look.

My girl Toad has a "bend" at the base of her tail, where it would detach if she dropped it. This bend forces the tail to always lie to the left of center. Is this an issue? and what could cause it?

She has been on crickets and CGD since I bought her at Tinley last year, and the breeder said she was on CGD and crickets before I bought her. The bent tail doesnt seem to have any adverse effects on the gecko and she has full use of its prehensileness...her tail is stronger than both of my other geckos her size.

I guess the only real issue I could see it having would be during breeding, but Im not sure about that and any insights there would be most appreciated.

I will get a picture up of this tomorrow after my final, but in the mean time Im gonna steal the one from the other thread as its a similar sight.

*ganked the image from Eel Noob's thread

Thanks

The bend looks like floppy tail. Dose she sleep upside down on the glass alot?

Thanks

nope she actually curls up at the bottom of the glass right above the ground..I havent noticed any loss of use in the tail.

Thanks

My next guess would be a calcium problem. When was the last date she laid? Her body may be pully calcium from her tail and bones because there isn't enough in her sacs.

Thanks

I would say it looks like flpooy tail to me as well. If you look at the picture of Moe here, He has floppy tail, but I have never caught him sleeping upside down, but he likes to hang form the top of his cage (No matter hom much I put in his tank! Stubborn boy!) And Moe is fed strictly CGD as he wont really touch his bugs.

3.0 Crested Geckos *Moe*Kami*Piper*
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]0.1 Gargoyle Gecko *Nexus*[/COLOR
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa *Incus*
    0.1 Sphynx Outcross x American Curl Cat *Kura*
    1.0 Tabby Cat *Shorty*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiedyegecko View Post
    My next guess would be a calcium problem. When was the last date she laid? Her body may be pully calcium from her tail and bones because there isn't enough in her sacs.
    shes virgin, with no eggs fertile or infertile laid to date

Thanks

Well then we go back to floppy tail. For some reason your geckos tail has a weak muscle at the base causeing it to hang sideways.

Thanks

hmmm well looks like my question is answered thanks.

Thanks

Hopefuly the extra weight won't cause your gecko to walk funny or develop hip displaysia(sp?) My friend droped his geckos tail when she started not being able to walk right and now she walks like a normal gecko. The extra weight was just too much for her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tooomanycolors View Post
    So this has come up in another thread and I thought to make its own thread, sorry if this has been discussed before as I didnt really look.

My girl Toad has a "bend" at the base of her tail, where it would detach if she dropped it. This bend forces the tail to always lie to the left of center. Is this an issue? and what could cause it?

She has been on crickets and CGD since I bought her at Tinley last year, and the breeder said she was on CGD and crickets before I bought her. The bent tail doesnt seem to have any adverse effects on the gecko and she has full use of its prehensileness...her tail is stronger than both of my other geckos her size.

I guess the only real issue I could see it having would be during breeding, but Im not sure about that and any insights there would be most appreciated.

I will get a picture up of this tomorrow after my final, but in the mean time Im gonna steal the one from the other thread as its a similar sight.

*ganked the image from Eel Noob's thread

if i am not mistaken, in the first picture the gecko appears to be a male to me? or is it just me?