Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Snow" Leopard Gecko morph

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnsredline View Post
    crossing with afgans is an amatuer move, the good breeders are keeping them pure(for this exact reason, there arent enough afghans to prevent future inbreeding). and it is impossible to not cross breed leopard geckos. there are not enough wild blooded animals to not inbreed.
    Good breeders are out crossing and keeping them pure cause everyone knows that 15% is better than 0% new blood in the CB leos we have had for how many generations.

Thanks

the only people i know of outcrossing are only trying to clean up the enigma trait. and that is the only reason. dont know of anyone outcrossing afgans, or any other sub species. outcrossing just to outcross

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnsredline View Post
    Your first pic of what your consider a snow isnt just a snow, its a high end super snow, mack, not line bred.

That second pic looks like an enigma snow. and the thirds a mack super.
    Super snows are super snows it's just how u made it, did u use a gem snow, tug snow or mack snow??
    i never heard of a high end super snow though??
    I believe i said the urban geckos pic was a line bred which is the second pic , they only started working with enigmas this year and that pic is from their snow group, i believe the name of that gecko is glacier.

Thanks

Personally, I would prefer an animal from a healthy genetically diverse line, even if not a morph, any day over something very inbred for the sake of a specific "look." While I appreciate the beauty of some morphs, I equally appreciate the natural beauty of wild type animals, which ironically are becoming somewhat scarce in species like the leopard gecko these days.

I am friends with some morph breeders who are very responsible in getting animals from different sources and avoiding excessive line breeding to have the most genetic diversity possible in an already limited gene pool. They breed only healthy animals and adopt or cull out the defective ones. However, I have also encountered as many or more unethical breeders who are intensively inbreeding for their desired results, and have seen more than a few spine kinked, eyeless, frail, circling, etc. cull animals spawned from their attempts. Indeed at shows I sometimes see these animals being sold with the hopes of getting a little profit out of some bleeding heart that will take pity on the poor beast, when any decent person would have it free to a good home. At a certain point you must question if you are in it for the love of the animal or the love of the money, and sadly the high financial stakes with some snake, gecko, etc. morphs out there has attracted a lot of people who are only in it for the love of the money. Again, I'm NOT saying all morph breeders are like this, but to act as though there is not a problem simply because we like the appearence of morphs is turning a blind eye to a very real problem in the reptile trade.
    Last edited by RandomWiktor; 12-16-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    1.0.0 Golden Gecko - 0.1.0 Tokay Gecko - 1.2.0 Leopard Gecko - 0.0.1 Moorish Gecko - Lots.Of.Other Animals