Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exo-Terra size for full grown Crested Gecko

Thanks

We used to have to scrape the tank with a razorblade to get rid of the deposits . We switched to distilled and now all I do when I clean tanks is wipe them down with a sponge.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

ugh water stains were the bain of my existence! i started using distilled water and have not had the issue since.

when i clean the tanks (i use vinegar diluted in hot water, then rince with hot hot water) i dry it with a paper towel so there it is all dry. air it out for a while, then put it back together.

Thanks

Awhile ago on the forum I had read lemon juice to help clean the hard water deposits. Easy to use distilled though or let the water sit a day or so before using.
    If you use papertowel or even a soil substrate, I personally would put them in a separate container,KK,whatever to feed them their live food. No risk of them getting that in their mouth while hunting then. Never leave live food in their cages either as they can tend to bite the geckos. Here again that is what makes feeding them in a different container nice and easy
    I have heard of geckos and snakes even eating paper towels. So soil or paper could possibly both be ingested.

Thanks

Vinegar works great. Stinks while you are using it but it clears out eventually. Plus it is harmless and that is always a plus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlvr View Post
    ... or let the water sit a day or so before using.

This doesn't remove the dissolved minerals in the water, just the dissolved gasses (Chlorine). You'll still end up with water spots (calcium and other salts).

Either Distillation or Reverse Osmosis will remove the dissolved solids.

Thanks

Our first 2 adult gargs each have the Exo 24x24x24, they are big enclosures. Then when we got 2 new adult gargs we went for the 18x18x24 which we prefer and will get in the future once the wee ones get bigger. All of our Exo's are screen cages vs. glass. great ventliation, visibility, cleaning and they love to climb the screens.

Thanks

Alright! So Distelled water, like bottled water? And yes. Our water has a ton of calcium which is the culprit of our water stains!

I do also like your suggestion, dragonlvr, about feeding them in a separate container. I thought About doing that but then I felt sort of guilty. The gecko's entertainment is hunting, and its stimulating for him, I think If I put him in a critter keeper with the crickets it makes it too easy and He will be bored... But then again maybe not. If I do put a natural substrate in (not paper towel) I will feed him in a kritter keeper. I think natural supstrate would make him happier?

let me know your opinions guys! =)
    0.0.1 Kaio the Crested Gecko

Thanks

any opinions on substrate?
    0.0.1 Kaio the Crested Gecko