Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exo-Terra size for full grown Crested Gecko

Thanks

Default Exo-Terra size for full grown Crested Gecko

Hi there! I have a Crested gecko, Have had one for a little over a year. I like Exo-terra terrariums, and That is what I have been using till now, But with the holidays coming I will be asking for a new one as it seems my gecko has outgrown the one hes currently in.

Id like to stick with an Exo-Terra, but if you have any other ideas you can let me know ,also please let me know what size of exo-terra you would recommend for a fully grown male crested gecko, no tank mates.

Current size : 12x12x18 [the people at petsmart said it would be fine when I first bought it, but I would like him to have a little more hunting space! ]

*Sorry if the ansewr is posted somewhere else, just like to get everyones opinion.

Thanks!
    Brittney

Thanks

That size is fine for 1 gecko. I bought each of my girls the 18x18x24 Exos because I love them and they are spoiled, and they make good use of every inch of their tanks.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

Yeah, I know its fine, But I only have one gecko So I dont mind spending a little extra to give him some more room so you recommend the 18x18x24?
    0.0.1 Kaio the Crested Gecko

Thanks

Yup! I have 2 of them and they are awesome. Easy to clean because I can pretty much get right in there. My girls love the extra space
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

Default Cage Size

Most care sheets I read recommend nothing smaller then a 20 Gallon tank on it's end. The exoterra 12x12x18 is much smaller then a 20 gallon. I recommend to all my customers the 18x18x24. Would love them to make a 18x18x36 or even better yet a 12x12x36 or 16x16x36. I like both the Exoterra and the zoomed models with a preference to the zoomed model because it's one solid piece of glass for the front instead of the split two doors of the exoterra but both make excellent cages with plenty of room to make a very pretty setup.
    Craig
    1.3.20 Crested Geckos 1.1 Honduran Milksnake
    1.1 Gargoyle 1.1 Leopard Geckos
    1.1 Leachies 2.1 W. Hognose Snake

Thanks

we love our exos. we have a 18x18x24 for our male and another 18x18x24 that houses 3 females. the baby we just got is in the 12x12x18

we put the male into the 12x12x18 when we realized he was a male (a late bloomer at 19g) and it was just way too small - although we had been told it was fine for a single adult by a few different hobbiests. i was able to get a deal on two 18x18x24 and moved him into that ASAP. he is now a happy camper, nice and active. in the other tank he was always in the same spot all the time.

Thanks

bigger is better but i have heard all the above and i put 3 adults in and 18x18x24 so a single adult should be fine in a 12x12x18 IMO.

Thanks

maybe it was just because our male went from a 24 high to an 18 high, and he just really missed those extra 6 inches! he was always up at the top rubbing his nose against the screen. hasn't done it once (that i've seen) in the taller tank.

he likes his space!!

Thanks

Alright! Thanks everyone! Id really like to get him into a 18x18x24 because personally I do feel that the 12x12x18 is okay, but much too small for a full grown male to live in. Ill be looking around for a nice new exo terra for the holidays

Also, Im using paper towel right now for substrate (easy to change, makes cage cleaning easy) But I was wondering how bad the risk is for impaction if I use a substrate? I have one that came with the exo-terra kit I got. My little guy is a pretty aggresive hunter, And I often find him even ripping the paper towel off when hunting, and then I have to pull it out of his mouth. Do you think substrate would produce a too high of risk of impaction? And how many of you have had serious impaction insidents?

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks

And one more question... Does anyone have a favorite answer to getting rid of water stains on the side of there terrariums? My water runs on well so I get lots of water stains, to the point of not being able to see through clearly. And boy, Are then tough to get out! Anyways, When I get my new terrarium I think I will try using bottled water if no one here has any objections! Let me know