Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sexing questions....23g Chahoua

Thanks

Default Sexing questions....23g Chahoua

This is taken from another thread to give some background info:

Quote Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
    My smaller chewie is now about 17 grams and I am left wondering about his/her sex. I have a piece of plexi glass that I put Scooby on and then go on the underside with my loupe. I see no pores (not even a slightly dented scale/pseudo pore) but there is a very slight buldge, though it's nothing like my P.I. male.

I am leaning towards saying it's a female but I don't want to jump the gun.

So, I guess my question is: At what age/weight would I really know FOR SURE that Scooby is a male or a female?
    So tonight I had the weigh in for my crew and Scooby is now up to 20 grams, and considering that I went in for another look with the loupe. I can report the lack of a buldge or pores so I think it is safe to say that Scooby is a girl! Hooray! It is a little hard to tell because her entire belly is pink and brown, not nice and white like the OP's pics.

For some reason I was getting a male vibe all along but it seems like she is now...a she! Also starting to show some nice red coming in with each shed.

Additionally, she's gained 12 grams in just under 2 months. Is that normal? Seems like a big weight gain.
    As of last night he/she was turned upside down and the buldge looked like it had formed somewhat of a line down the middle, dividing it into two "balls". He/she flipped around (right side up) and then it looked like the line disappeared so maybe it was a wrinkle?

Confused, I looked for pores but his/her underside is so many different colors and so blotchy that I had a hard time telling if there were pores or not.

So...does anyone have a picture of the underside of a male and female Chahoua at roughly 20-25g? I am really confused about my little one right now and want to know what to expect. I'll try to get a picture tonight if I can.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

This is taken from another thread to give some background info:

As of last night he/she was turned upside down and the buldge looked like it had formed somewhat of a line down the middle, dividing it into two "balls". He/she flipped around (right side up) and then it looked like the line disappeared so maybe it was a wrinkle?

Confused, I looked for pores but his/her underside is so many different colors and so blotchy that I had a hard time telling if there were pores or not.

So...does anyone have a picture of the underside of a male and female Chahoua at roughly 20-25g? I am really confused about my little one right now and want to know what to expect. I'll try to get a picture tonight if I can.

Hello!
    Chewies do have spotty bellies which does make it very hard to sex them. I got a chewie this past summer at 24 grams it it was sold as a "Definite female" and she stayed female. I louped her when I got her and saw no site of pores just like you said, a spotty belly.

At 30 grams, if your chewie doesn't have a bulge I'd say its safe to say female.

However I'd wait for a more experienced breeder to reply as I've only worked with about 5 chewies.

Thanks

Female chewies can have a puffy area down there to further confuse things. Being that chahoua mature slower than cresteds, it is very unlikely that you would see a real dropping of the goods at that size. They can indeed be very difficult to sex because most of them have varying degrees of speckling on their undersides. I personally wasn't comfortable sexing mine until they were closer to the thirty gram mark.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

Thank you both for the insight.

Thanks

You would definitely start to see a significant bulge at this size, and any pores usually start secreting a wax-like substance around that weight. Females are wrinkly so if it was just a center crease it was more likely a coincidence than actual separation between the hemipenes.
    Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus

Thanks

[QUOTE]significant bulge at this size/QUOTE]

Really? I tend to disagree on that. Especially on the low side of twenty grams, for animals that generally start to begin maturing over 30 grams.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

i would agree on the 30 gram mark, as i just got a male from Cslinca, and she told me she didn't know he was male until shortly before she shipped him.
    he was about 33-35 grams when i got him.

Thanks

[QUOTE=sushigex;258159]
    significant bulge at this size/QUOTE]

Really? I tend to disagree on that. Especially on the low side of twenty grams, for animals that generally start to begin maturing over 30 grams.
    Rhacsect said 30 grams I missed that MPLexus weighed it in a 25. I agree 20 is low for obvious hemipenal bulges.
    Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus

Thanks

So at 34g and 7 months old Scooby has now decided to drop a pair of balls and show pores. I have a 30x loupe and never saw pores before, but took a second (or twenty second, really) look since the buldge has been growing and growing, and magically there are now pores there.

Sexing these guys can be difficult, I guess.

Thanks

So at 34g and 7 months old Scooby has now decided to drop a pair of balls and show pores. I have a 30x loupe and never saw pores before, but took a second (or twenty second, really) look since the buldge has been growing and growing, and magically there are now pores there.

Sexing these guys can be difficult, I guess.
    Thanks for keeping us posted, sorry to hear that he turned male on ya, but its good to know how long people should wait before saying "Female" for sure.