Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Supply and Demand?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    it just means maybe her parents were not strong enough and she got crazy Uncle Joes traits
    Genes not strong enough?? Two Repashy 100% pinstripes are not strong enough lineages??

If this female was unable to pass her genes down to her offspring with her parentage when paired with a nice pinstripe male, then the pinstripe gene does not function in a manner that allows you to use HET anywhere in the same sentence with that particular trait. Het, as others have said, is heterozygous, as in carries that gene AND is able to pass that gene to its offspring in a PREDICTABLE manner.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

Instead of heckling me for an idea, why not say it nicely, sheesh. I was trying to give reason for something, I didnt state I had a freakin answer.

You can look at it another way, my odd balls. When the male is paired up with any blonde or standard harley all he throws are blondes. When paired up with my mocha and cream gal, or even my orange and cream gal, almost all of the babies are creamy things. I was refering to an experience I have had of my own, a gene which is known to be strong (the dark) is over riden by the creamy. But when those same girls last season were placed with a creamy boy, they threw nothing but dark geckos. But obviously my experiences are nulled by yours.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    Instead of heckling me for an idea, why not say it nicely, sheesh. I was trying to give reason for something, I didnt state I had a freakin answer.

You can look at it another way, my odd balls. When the male is paired up with any blonde or standard harley all he throws are blondes. When paired up with my mocha and cream gal, or even my orange and cream gal, almost all of the babies are creamy things. I was refering to an experience I have had of my own, a gene which is known to be strong (the dark) is over riden by the creamy. But when those same girls last season were placed with a creamy boy, they threw nothing but dark geckos. But obviously my experiences are nulled by yours.
    No, your experiences are the same as mine... variability at every turn.

Het (heterozygous) means a single gene at a single allele, passed in a predictable manner that can be proven heritable within 2-3 generations and explained using a punnet square.

The rules of genetics cannot be altered because you see a trait passed strongly in one or two instances.

Our disagreement is not in what you have experienced, but in your over-use of very specific terminology thats been around for hundreds of years in an incorrect manner.

Even in dalmations, which appear to be a co-dominant trait on the surface cannot be called Hets, because with heterozygous animals bred to heterozygous animals, 1 in 4 should be totally lacking in said trait. Ask anyone who's tried to clean up a line and remove the dalmation spots, and you'll find its nearly impossible. While I don't know if anyone has actually done the math, from what I've seen/experienced I'm doubtful that any animal with spots bred to another with spots produces 1 in 4 offspring without spots...
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie