Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many eggs?

Thanks

I think it can vary greatly with virgin females. My Virgin girl for this year, Banana, laid 5 clutches, 10 eggs total, and only two made it to full term hatchlings which are growing up now. About 5 were fertile but the others died during incubation.
    My second year female, (she had been bred prior to my getting her and she had last year "off" so to speak) Mrs. Foot, laid me 4 clutches, 8 eggs total and every single one hatched. So I do think fertility can vary greatly with the gecko's age, diet, genetics, etc.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Saille our Virgin gecko laid two fertile egg's and they hatch how can this be if she a virgin?
    3.2.4.1 - Crested Gecko's (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
    1.0 collard lizard's (Crotaphytus bicinctores)
    1.1 dog's
    lot's of fish

Thanks

just because she is a virgin doesnt mean her first clutch cant be fertile, nor does it mean she cant lay nothing but crazy clutches. It is simply that it is more likely that her first clutch will be infertile and that through out the season her clutches can be hit or miss. Sunflower was kind of a virgin this season. I tried to breed her last year, but from a one time pairing she ended up getting an infected scent gland so I removed her. She never laid any eggs last year. But this season she laid 5 clutches and all 5 clutches were fertile.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Saille our Virgin gecko laid two fertile egg's and they hatch how can this be if she a virgin?
    Eric, I didn't say that a Virgin couldn't lay fertile eggs (if she's been mated with), its just more unlikely that they'll hatch. Or its more likely they'll be duds or won't go to full term and hatch, though they might be fertile and grow for a while.
    You got lucky, or you got a "fertile Myrtle" as I like to call them. Some women are just meant to be breeders! But that has not been my personal experience. Like I said, it can vary greatly with a female's first season.

How old is your female? How long was she housed with the male? What is her lineage? How many grams was she when she was bred? What is her diet? All these can play a factor in fertility/eggs to full term/hatchlings.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas