Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many eggs?

Thanks

Default How many eggs?

i am new to the whole crested gecko keeping and next year when i find owt wat my little is (male or female) then i will be possibly getting another adult but opposite sex, you see where im going, how many eggs can i expect if i bredd them?

Thanks

they lay any where between 6-10 clutches average, some more. with each clutch have 2 eggs.
    0.2.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus Pebbles & Radar
    0.0.1 T roborowskii
    0.3 Lepidodactylus lugubris lucy, lucy, lucy
    0.1 weiner dog(Phoebe)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

when do they start laying eggs. and will they lay eggs even if no male is present?

Thanks

They can lay eggs with on male present but in my xp no more then one clutch
    3.2.4.1 - Crested Gecko's (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
    1.0 collard lizard's (Crotaphytus bicinctores)
    1.1 dog's
    lot's of fish

Thanks

I am going to have to disagree with Eric on this one. I have both a female Crested and female Gargoyle that I raised from 3-4 gram hatchlings that lay eggs on a regular basis (every 4-8 weeks, in summer). Both are now ~2+ years old, neither of these have ever been exposed to a male.

I also have an adult female (my son's actually) that was paired with a male in the spring that laid 5 clutches of eggs through the rest of the season.

It is very common for keepers to introduce the males only at the beginning of the breeding season and then remove them for the entire laying season (less stress on the females).

To Reptiledanny:
    If you are new to Cresteds, you shouldn't be looking to breed them... How about getting the basics of their care and health down pat first. They really are pretty basic, but give yourself a bit of time first and be realistic about your own motivations and commitments. If after keeping them for a year or so you find that you really do enjoy keeping/caring for these animals as a hobby, then sure, look to breed them.

Questions you need to ask yourself before this:
    * Do you have the time or space to accommodate up to 20 babies per pairing (10-12 are more realistic) for the 3-6 months it takes to get them to a salable size?
    * Do you have an outlet to sell this many babies?
    * If not, what is your contingency (can you house this many juveniles)?

Be realistic. Take your time. Enjoy your hobby before you compound the amount of commitment needed.

If it feels like work to care for your animals, then it's not a hobby anymore!

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley

Thanks

i was jsut asking becaus ei wanted to know. i am not definatly going to breed them. i am just wondering about that. i am jsut going to let it be for about a year 2 years then decide

Thanks

Question

ok... going to make someone mad here... but, has anyone ever tried scrambled gecko eggs?!? unfertilized of course

Thanks

jsbrewer81:

You've got problems!!! lol
    Thats so gross, it's hard to think about! :-)

Thanks

have you actually tried it?

Thanks

Eric did state that was his own personal experience. I have had virgin females not lay eggs before males, then I have had virgin females lay without being with a male. More times then not females will lay, it is simply their body saying they are mature enough to breed, doesnt meant that they should breed, females who just reach maturity can lay, I had a female at 28g lay. Her body was saying she was ready, but she was not as she did not have enough weight on her. Thankfully she only did it twice last year. She has since now been proven out this year.

But I do agree, why ask questions about breeding now when you dont even have them yet, and are not considering breeding them. If you ask the question, then you are considering it. Which is fine, but you really should own them for at least a year before commiting to it. Try buying the geckos as babies and see how it goes raising them, that way you get the art of caring for young geckos down before commiting to it. And if you still decide to do it, check around first.
    1. See how the market is in your area, not all areas have a market for the species, either many people breeding in your area, or may just not be popular in your area. Check at your local reptile shows and see how many people there are breeding, that will be a good indication if it is a good market or not. Talk to them, see how many people in the area breed, and ask them how sales are.
    2. Know your limit, dont start off with a bunch of girls, if you do decide to do it, start with 1 girl. Her first season you wont end up with a ton of hatchlings, often first seasons are very random, sometimes good eggs, sometimes not, sometimes only one is good. But it is far easier to find homes for 8-10 babies then it is 20 or more babies.
    3. If you can sell what will you do? Do you have to space to house every growing collection of geckos? Do you have an outlet to sell the babies off? By that I mean if the market sucks where you are at, do you have a trusted pet store you could sell too?
    4. Do you have the funds. You will need seperate containers for the clutches, now that means more money spent on decor and food.
    5. Dont breed just to breed. Now there is nothing wrong with buckskin geckos, the lets face the facts, people like bright and colorful cresties with good crests. If you do decide to breed, buy the best you can afford. That doesnt mean you MUST spend $200 on a gecko, it just means dont breed geckos simply because you have a male and a female. Try to get geckos who have good traits, like really nice crests, and geckos that compliment each other (meaning if you have a blonde male, try finding him a nice blonde female instead of a yellow dalmatian).

There is alot more to think about with breeding then just how many eggs do they produce. You have to worry about the health of the female, the market, the health of your babies, space required for a certain amount of geckos. And even age plays a role, this sounds horrible, but alot of people will not buy from someone who is under 18. Sounds like discrimination, but many people just feel that way. But there are some good breeders who are under 18, but more people find people over 18 to be mature enough and responcible enough to care for their animals as some people do view people under 18 still as kids and not as responcible. And there is nothing wrong with wanting to breed, just be sure you really think about it from every angle, and then think about it again. Nothing worse then being over run by geckos, having nowhere to place them, then as it was stated, it become a chore to care for them. And believe me, 20+ geckos are alot to care for, even if 90% of them are babies and juvies.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI