Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Questions for Dog Owners

Thanks

Default Some Questions for Dog Owners

I live in southern california, work at a dog grooming shop, and have a two year old shiba inu.

Signey, my dog, has terrible skin problems, the cause of which we still haven't been able to pinpoint. And she isn't the only one. I would estimate that about 35-50% of dogs that we get through my work have the "itchy scratchies" (as we like to call them) depending on the time of year.

what im wondering is whether or not you know of this being a problem in other parts of the country. we've met a number of people that have moved from other parts of the country, or even just northern california, and their dogs that have never had a problem with itching have suddenly started chewing and scratching until they get hot spots and other nastiness.

i'd love to hear people's opinions or stories on this issue, and id be more than happy to offer advice from a groomer's standpoint (i'll have been grooming for 3 years in jan). maybe we can all help each other out and find some answers to make our furry friends a little more comfortable.

Thanks

Sacramento, Though I do not groom, I have two dogs, and volunteer at the animal shelter, I don't notice the dogs itching. They do on occation scratch. Like the got bit by a flea or something, but only every couple of days.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Could be demodex mange, fungal infection, allergies...the list goes on and on.

Get the vet to do a skin scraping...just a painless scraping to get some cells-like having a good back-scratch-and check for demodex and fungus first-before putting your dog through allergy tests.

Both demodex and fungal infections are transmissible through touch.

Demodex is especially contagious to animals in unsanitary conditions, and especially to pups from their moms, and dogs with thick fur or wrinkly skin, like Shar peis.

The treatment for demodex (a cigar-shaped skin parasite) is Goodwinal ointment-usually every four or six hours. The more you stick to the schedule, the better chance of getting rid of it.

Fungal infections smell yeasty and seems to come back almost immediately after a bath. Metronidozole (Flagyl) or other topical or oral antifungals are used.

Puppy mill dogs and shelter dogs can spread these ALL over the place.

Same thing with grooming shops. All you need is one dog with it, and it can spread to all the clients' dogs and yours, too.

Infection control is SOOOO IMPORTANT!!!
    Love and Light-
    Donna

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

Thanks

my dog had grass allergies for a while that gave him a pretty bad rash.
    i am the type of playa that hollas cause i wanna.

Thanks

Do you notice the itching before or after being groomed, or both? Sometimes the process of being groomed can cause skin irritation, especially if there is buzzing involved. And some dogs may even be allergic to the shampoo.

I know that it's common for a shiba inu to have a food allergy, especially to grains and chicken, but that wouldn't explain other dogs.

Like samanthajane13 said, the list can go on as to what the cause can be. Definitely bring your pup to the vet and get the issue checked out, if it is something major, you don't want your pup to be the reason why all the customers' dogs are getting infected

On another note, what color is your shiba and why not post some pics. I have a black and tan that I love to pieces.

Thanks

98% of ADULT canine skin problems (itching, scratching, chewing, ear infections, anal gland infections) are all related to an underlying allergy. 90% of allergies are environmental, and it takes specific testing (VARL or intradermal) to determine what they are.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

im with Miss Kiwi. My dog, we couldnt figure out what she was allergic too, in the spring and summer she would itch so bad she would bite her skin raw. So we took her into the vet. She simply got an allergy shot which made her stop itching. Had to do that for the first 3 years of owning her. After that she stopped on her own and just gets light dry skin every now and again through the spring and summer, but nothing that drives her nuts like it used too.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

I've seen dogs allergic to Bermuda(spelling?) grass before. They acted the same way, iching and hot spots.

Thanks

Whatever it turns out to be you could use Tar and Sulfer medicated shampoo for the rash. It works on fungus, mange, and allergies.
    Andrea
    ebutuoy
    1.0 panther chameleon (Furcifer pardalis) Fry
    0.1 ball python (Python regius) Ruca
    3.2.1 crested geckos (Rhacodactylus ciliatus) Blarg, Ruby, Smokey, Sheila, Charizard & Turanga
    and four wonderful dogs. -> <-

Thanks

Tea Tree oil products also help with bacterial and fungal problems.
    Love and Light-
    Donna

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle