Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: S.I.M incubator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlvr View Post
    I had condensation but only to the area right below the tray. Not above the tray line as I had been told you don't want it that damp in there. So....I have taken them out of the S.I.M. as I don't want to lose my eggs.
    If eggs are denting, it is clearly not humid enough inside the container... Remember, the fill line on the container is there for a reason... You need to fill it to the fill line...

What you want to see is a condensation line that goes up about an inch past the grid on the side walls... If you do not see the condensation line an inch above the grid, it is not humid enough... You want condensation in the container but you do not want a thunderstorm in it...

We are making a how to youtube vid that will show exactly how to set it up, what you need to see before you put the eggs in and we will show you what you dont want to see in the container during incubation...

There are a few (maybe 4 or 5 out of a few hundred) people who have had the denting on the bottom of the egg and it was clearly because the contions were way too dry due to either not adding enough water or because the substrate was not filled to the fill line... Hopefully the youtube instructional vid will help avoid these issues...
    Gregg M Madden

Thanks

Thanks, Gregg!

That's what I figured when I saw the denting, so I added a bit more water.

My house is like the Mojave Desert when my furnace is on, and I don't even have any holes in the SIM.
    Last edited by samanthajane13; 02-15-2010 at 02:58 AM. Reason: typo
    Love and Light-
    Donna

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

Thanks

initiling the female doesnt work well when you have 2 females with the same first letters! LMAO I will have to do multiple color sharpe and just write laid dates down, although I do like your little graph paper model.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Hi Gregg,

I have purchased 2 of your incubators.They didn't come with instructions, and when I get on your site, things freeze up so bad, I have to end the program, lol. How does one use it with just water in the container?

Thanks

you want to fill it with an incubation medium Emily, like perlite, hatch right, ect. The point of it is to suspend the eggs over the medium so that they get just the right balance of humidity so that the eggs do not take in excess water and drown the growing embro. And also for the hatching baby, not to get covered in the medium.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Alrighty. I use perlite normally, but I thought I had heard you could just use water with the SIM?

Thanks

You can if you want to, but there is a risk of splashing the eggs with water which is not good for them.

Thanks

Anyone succeed in hatching crestie eggs in a Hovabator? Seems to be a lot more difficult to build up humidity in top heating Hovabators as opposed to custom made bottom heated or mini fridge incubators. I would like to know your successes in the Hovabator only. Our successes came from using the SIM in bottom heated as well as air circulated bottom heated incubators. The breeders who have hatched pythons, monitors and geckos were not using Hovabator incubators, but fridge types and custom styro cooler incubators. Your thoughts please, Hovabator / SIM users?

Thanks

John

Thanks

Been doing this for years with my snake eggs. Would've done it with gecko eggs, but wasn't sure how to accomplish it (when I saw the rails, I was like "Doh!".

In my opinion, it's THE method to use if you're not sure how to mix perlite/vermiculite - or if you just don't want to have to worry about it.

It works great because your eggs never get too wet, you never need to add water before the snakes hatch (or geckos in this case), and there's just nothing to worry about at all.

Snake clutches are laid in clumps (as shown) so you don't need rails, but it's the same principle.

Inside the egg box...

Inside the incubator...

I use perlite to keep the water from sloshing around when I'm checking on eggs, but it's not really required. The white "grid" is a piece of plastic light diffuser (the things you see covering flush mounted fluorescent ceiling fixtures). A huge piece (I'm guessing 18" x 48") is like $10 from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I don't know the guys behind the SIM containers and I've never used them (although I did inquire about getting some - just too expensive to get a couple hundred of them), but I can say the principle behind them is rock solid and well tested. That's the cool thing about them. They maintain almost total air saturation (100% humidity) and the eggs are bone dry on the surface, meaning there's no way for anything to go wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John A View Post
    Anyone succeed in hatching crestie eggs in a Hovabator? Seems to be a lot more difficult to build up humidity in top heating Hovabators as opposed to custom made bottom heated or mini fridge incubators. I would like to know your successes in the Hovabator only. Our successes came from using the SIM in bottom heated as well as air circulated bottom heated incubators. The breeders who have hatched pythons, monitors and geckos were not using Hovabator incubators, but fridge types and custom styro cooler incubators. Your thoughts please, Hovabator / SIM users?

Thanks

John
    I used a hovabator last year for my eggs. I had 1 out of 7 go bad, but I didn't think it was good to begin with. I put vermiculite in 2 plastic containers (one container for each female that laid). Wet the vermic. so that it clumped when gently squeezed, but broke apart when touched. I put the probe in one container, just under the vermic. In the other container, I used a small digital thermomotor that also measured humidity. The Hov. was set to 72. The reading on the helix stayed 72, the reading on the digital stayed 72-75 with 99% humidity constantly. I did keep the lids on and opened them once a week to air them a bit. I never had to re-wet the vermic. and all the eggs hatched 76-88 days!

This year my husband is making me a incubator out of a small refrigerator (office size) He made his own for the snake eggs a few years ago for his snake eggs. His is made from a industrial (restaurant) freezer. It works great!
    Brandie

www.cbballpythons.com
    5.5.7.3 Cresties - 1.2.1 Gargoyle - 1.1 M.I. Chahoua - 1.1.0.4 P.I. Chahoua - 0.0.1 Leachie

"I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set.......I think I need a Lear jet"