Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help

Thanks

Default Please Help

I came in this morning and my Gargoyle was laying out in the open in the cage. I tried picking him up and he barely squirmed. He hasn't been moving his back legs and they are curled up to the body funny. He seems to be paralyzed from half way down his body. He is in a 29 gallon enclosure so he couldn't have fallen that far. Look at the photos and let me know. The temp is 71 so I don't think he is just cold. When I picked him up he's just rigid. Please help.

Call 404-409-1048

He moved some and now he looks like he is sitting normally but he is still stiff and not moving. Temp is up to 77 in there now. He is just laying there though with his eyes sunk in. He ate just last night.

Thanks

The back legs not moving reminds of paralysis caused by an impaction. But honestly, the best course would be take it to a vet.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Jack)
    2.3.3 Crested Geckos (Stubble, Lucia, Nubble, Jakalope, Brick, Killswitch, Engage)
    1.2.3 Gargoyle Geckos (Lexington, Bronx, Broadway, Brooklyn, Hudson, Iago)
    1.0.0 Leachianus (Grimlock)
    0.0.1 Northern Pine Snake (Maynard)
    4.2.0 Cats (Nanners, Waldo, Weiland, Rillers, Piggy & Moo)

Rhacs are like Jello, there's always room for more!

Thanks

The only reptile vet I can find that has an office in town is of course out of town. He hasn't even had crickets to eat. Pure Clarks food. Now that you mention it, I havn't seen droppings in a few days I guess. How long does it take? He is on paper towels so it isn't the substrate. What can you do for impaction? Thank you for your reply. I'm very frantic over here.

Thanks

well, I've never had an impacted gecko before...only my beardie. The trick for him was to give him a warm bath with a small bit of pear. Usually got them to move the obstruction out. But with rhacs, I'm not too sure. try feeling around his belly for something hard. but be gentle.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Jack)
    2.3.3 Crested Geckos (Stubble, Lucia, Nubble, Jakalope, Brick, Killswitch, Engage)
    1.2.3 Gargoyle Geckos (Lexington, Bronx, Broadway, Brooklyn, Hudson, Iago)
    1.0.0 Leachianus (Grimlock)
    0.0.1 Northern Pine Snake (Maynard)
    4.2.0 Cats (Nanners, Waldo, Weiland, Rillers, Piggy & Moo)

Rhacs are like Jello, there's always room for more!

Thanks

I've never really been able to hold him much. If it is broken I don't want to cause him more pain by holding him more than I have too. Never tried giving him a bath since I could never hold him. What would be the chances of him breaking his back in a 29 gallon tank as I have vines around the top he climbs into. And what water temp would you use for a rhac or would it not be worth it?

Thanks

If the eyes are sunken in, I'd focus on rehydrating him first and foremost.

Get soe fluids into his mouth with a dropper or syringe, but be careful not to shoot the fluids down the throat, just get them into the mouth and let him swallow them.

Thanks

It was just so instatanious that it frightened me into thinking he broke his back. Thank you for your response. I'll get to that right away. Do you reccomend using Electrodize/Pedialyte or just plain water?

edit, cant get him to open up

edit edit, he is sucking it in. but then he started wiggling and he bit his own foot. had the whole thing in his mouth

edit edit edit. He started spewing it all back out. Very sticky clear substance. He's left his mouth open and the stuff creates a film between his lips. kieeps wiggling around. Keeps convulsing like he's throwing up but only the sticky fluid comes out
    Last edited by 789; 04-13-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks

I'm not sure why, but I am pretty certain that your gecko is dying. Many veterinarians who do not specialize or enjoy treating reptiles will see you if you explain the emergency situation, so try to get him looked at. It is quite possible to administer fluids and glucose by injecting into the coelomic cavity (the belly) and any DVM should be capable of basic emergency measures.

One interim measure that might be worth a shot: soak him for 3-4 minutes in warmed (say 80-90F) pedialyte or gatorade for a few minutes. He may be able to absorb some nutrients by osmosis if he's dehydrated. Dry him well and put him in a small enclosure on cloth towel substrate and try to maintain about 75-80F ambient, no more. Some geckos who resent having the mouth opened will accept drops of water, food, or medication if it's very slowly dripped/placed onto their noses. Good luck.
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

He has left this world :'(

Thank you for the reply but time was too late. He hadn't been showing any signs or symptoms of being sick. He ate plenty, just ate last night. His temp never got above 78. I had tried soaking him and giving him drops when I got the replies on this post. He kept squirming when I tried bathing him. I wasn't trying to force his mouth open at all, just putting drops on his lips. He seemed to be sucking it in, I was using unflavored pedialyte. He then started having "saliva" sticky clear substance come out. Started spasms and started regurgitating the water and pedialyte. Today has been horrible, this week has been horrible. I'm afraid to keep my crestie now. I thought I was doing everything right. Water and Clarks, niether of them seemed interested in crickets. Temps between 70 and 78. I don't want anything to happen to my crestie. What do I do? Differnt enclosure but I'm afraid now. Thank you for those who tried to help me and my lizard.
    Last edited by 789; 04-13-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks

Very sorry.. That's a bummer.
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006