Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Many Of You Have Experienced This?

Thanks

alright. ill try posting tomorrow since im using my wii right now and refuse to write long detailed things.
    ill keep an eye out for those containers! thanks!!

Thanks

I've actually had the best luck with just letting my two girls lay in their viv and not even bother to remove the eggs to incubate. At first I kept a lay box in the tank, but they had 0 interest in it. I had trouble getting eggs to hatch for the longest time when I removed the eggs (when I happened to catch one of them in the process of laying), but after I found the first couple of hatchlings in the viv with the trio, I stopped even bothering to remove the eggs. The only reason I will remove them anymore is if I see Aurora laying. That way I have a couple that I know come from her for certain so that I can compare. Haven't lost any babies this way to my knowledge, and until I started cooling them down last month, I was finding at least one baby per month, typically two, sometimes more, and all in perfect condition (it's common for my two girls to have only one egg per clutch hatch).

Hasn't been an issue so far. Kinda scarey in the beginning but not any longer.
    Crested Geckos
    2.1 Cats (Loki, Thor, and Violet)
    2.0 Dogs (Rottweiler - Capone; Catahoula mix - Tank)
    Plus one awesome husband and a 2 year old daughter ^^
    My iHerp Page

Thanks

Really? Do they eat crix just fine and everything? I haven't had trouble incubating. Gone through 3 clutches with my girl so far and her fourth is with a biology teacher. They've got one month left to hatch
    I want to kind of try that, but I don't want to lose any babies in the process
    I've only got one girl per tank. In fact, all my geckos have their own tank except for the babies where its 2:3:1 (top middle bottom) in their divided tank.

Thanks

Most of mine have tanks of their own. I have one trio and then one other male/female pairing (but they were kept cool and haven't been breeding). Actually, I very rarely feed crickets at all anymore -- I have to drive half an hour to get to a store that has them, so it's a bit more of a hassle than it's worth; plus a couple of mine actually don't care for them. When I DO feed crickets, I don't feed crickets in the viv but take the adults out and feed them individually in kritter keepers. This is also a plus because I don't end up with crickets overtaking the viv. Haven't had any trouble with CGD this way either. I put a dish in for each gecko, fill them extra full, and place them in the corners of the viv.

For whatever reason, in the beginning, I had trouble getting eggs to hatch; I think it might have been more to do with the calcium level of Aurora at the time. We finally decided that her eggs were somehow too thick for the babies to breakthrough. I had been suplimenting with extra calcium then because she was always laying and she wasn't in the best of shape when I first got her (looked like she had been overbred and was low on calcium). I stopped the extra supplimenting and after a couple more clutches, haven't had the problem since. Then I apparently missed an egg, as I found a baby in the viv one day. I worried at first that the babies would go forever without me seeing them and end up eaten, but pretty much all of them were found shortly after hatching and I never saw the adults pay them any mind. I think there was one exception where I found a baby that was probably a couple of weeks old.
    Crested Geckos
    2.1 Cats (Loki, Thor, and Violet)
    2.0 Dogs (Rottweiler - Capone; Catahoula mix - Tank)
    Plus one awesome husband and a 2 year old daughter ^^
    My iHerp Page

Thanks

Wow... I may try that some day. It'd take a lot of stress off of my shoulders and be more of a surprise as well. I don't know though. So risky with my adults. I feed out of the cages as well even though they're on paper towel. I hand fed crix today. Got some nice open-mouth pics lol
    I got bit a couple times by my new girls (they bit hard and kept chomping too!!). Jeez, I've NEVER had a crestie bite hurt!!
    I'll definately look into doing this someday though
    Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Thanks

How long/many seasons have you been leaving your eggs in their tanks? You don't do anything different with the tank? I REALLY want to set up a live tank but am nervous about not finding eggs if some get laid. If I didn't have to worry about them that'd be great.

Thanks

My original breeding trio is in a 75 gallon terrarium. It has live plants, still in pots so I can rearrange if necessary, surrounded by eco earth. The first breeding year it was only one female and I paid close attention and immediately dug up eggs. We took out the male in the fall and assumed the female was done laying for Winter. Ha ha... Wrong! My husband was walking by one day in late Winter and saw a baby. The second was not far away. They were not older than 2 days or so, probably hatched the day before. After that I did an end-to-end search for eggs and found 3 clutches hiding in there. Unfortunately none of those were viable. They had survived for a while in there because they were not the size of just-laid eggs. My only guess is that this particular female buries her eggs so deep that they were smothered. (She digs all the way down to the glass bottom if she can... at least 4 inches in some places.) I guess the moral is that not all eggs laid in a viv and left there will survive. We never lost a single egg from the 7 clutches we did dig out that season.
    7.6.11.2 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1.0 Corn Snake
    1.2.0 Ball Pythons
    2.0.0 Cats
    1.1.0 Dogs