Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Of You Have Experienced This?

Thanks

Default How Many Of You Have Experienced This?

I made this thread because of dragonlvr's nice surprise with finding babies before they were eaten.

I was wondering, how many of you have had it where the mother gecko lays eggs unknowingly in her cage and you guys have found the babies, dead or alive, some months later?
    I've never experienced this, negative or positive, so I was wondering how you guys have reacted and how you felt. How often has this happened to you? etc...?

Thanks

It happened once back when I kept my girls in live tanks with out mesh to keep them from laying the eggs where ever they want. It was definatly a big shock to me but my females didn't care. None of my geckos like bugs so a baby gecko running around didn't even catch there eye. I have found lots and lots of rotten eggs in my live tanks when I took them apart to make them female gecko proof. Who knew half of my season was lost because I didn't dig deep enough.

Thanks

Wow, so there are more problems when you have actual bedding then huh? I switched a while ago. I almost never found two of my females eggs once. I noticed she looked smaller and must've laid so I took everything out of the cage and looked around. She had somehow burried it behind her little house hide in the back corner of the cage. I don't know what she did but she got them down there somehow. I came close to not finding them though. Not only that but they had indents in them from being dry. They hatched out just fine a month ago though

But after that, I stopped using bedding and stuck with paper towels.

So, now, with your girls, did you ever feed them live foods or was it just chance that they really didn't care for small moving things?

Thanks

I stopped feeding live food because not one of my geckos will eat bugs. The bugs end up living weeks in my vivariums and the eat threw my plants. I don't have bedding I have a full live tank. My females lay there eggs in there layboxes because it's the only place where theres deep enough dirt to lay eggs. I put screen on the top of my soil mix and then a very very thin layer of coco fiber on top of that so no mater where my girls dig they can't burry there eggs. I'll go take pics...

Thanks

Oh I get it! That's interesting... If I ever do want to start a vivarium (been thinking about it) then I'll have to try that out with my girls

So it was never a development thing... Darn, I was kind of hoping you'd be able to get a gecko to turn away from live foods. It'd be helpful with females but then again, its not needed if I decide to try out your method as well.

Thanks

I'm interested in that as well--what type of screen are you using? I have my females in a nautralisitc setup, and I would hate to have to change it. Good idea!

Thanks

I use fiberglass screen for makeing windows. Heres some pics.

Side view of the laybox

The screen under the dirt

Another tank i'm working on

Without the laybox

Hope this helps

Thanks

Huh, very interesting. Very nice set up in that first picture too!
    I may give this a try sometime in the future
    How many cages do you have set up to be live? And how many do you have with the screen?

Thanks

7 live tanks, all but 3 with screen. I took a few days to change them all over to the screen recently. Of course my males don't need screen because they don't lay eggs. The rest of my collection are in tubs with paper towel.

Thanks

It has happened to me only last month. I was hoovering the lounge when I spotted what I thought was a leafe on the coffee table. You could imagine my surprise when I discovered the leaf to be a baby! I have no idea how it got out of the viv or how it survived for as long as it had. I am so glad I did find it as it strating to look a stunner i.e. an orange tiger.

When I searched the viv I discovered two more eggs which I have removed and now trying to incubate.