Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very First Leopard Gecko/and a ?

Thanks

Thinking ahead is great!! I use UTH hooked up to a thermostat with all of mine. They are all on ceramic tile. There are differing views on substrate but from experience I would never suggest anything loose with leos and especially not with small ones. I was given the old petstore advice and kept my first reptile (which was a baby leo named Griffin) on sand. He became impacted and caring for him and watching him pass was my worst experience ever with an animal. Heart wrenching.

Temps need to be between 88-92 on the substrate on the warm side of his enclosure. Its very important to measure temps directly on the floor because leos use belly heat to digest their food.

Paper towels alone work just fine for a humid hide. I used that for two years. I just finally got tired of having to change them out every night. They tend to dry out fast. So I searched for a solution that still did not impose a risk of impaction.

Back on subject

You can use Flexwatt heat tape to heat your enclosures as well. Especially if you end up with several of them and keep them all close together. This link gives tons of info on it as well as being a great place to buy!

One more little tip that I did not find in the caresheets. It is very helpful to keep a cap of pure calcium powder in the enclosure for them to lick at their leisure. And of course always gutload and dust your feeders. I dusted with pure calcium five days a week. Calcium with D3 once a week and multivitamins once a week. Of course you will need to adjust that as they begin to eat less and less often.

Ok, sorry if I just rehashed everything you have already heard. Considering my own experience and how many poor leos I have seen mistreated with nothing but the best of intentions I always feel that too much info is better than not enough.

Again best wishes and if you have any questions feel free to pm.

2.7.13 Cresties Ozai Nix Gracie Ling Parula Midori Issabella Mischief Lydia
    Tango Gimp Avery Grasun Lyrica Gizmo Blaine Neva Skyler Sydney Rene Nico Rio
    0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*
    1.2 Leopards Sabastian Willow Allie
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming

GeckosandGiggles.com IHerp

Thanks

Ok, Right now I'm using paper towel substrate and I already have a cap of calcium in the tank. Whats the best feeders? And the link you posted didn't work, I do plan to get Tile tho. What kind of Multivitamins do I need to get?
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

I use regular calcium and herptivite. With mine I do mealworms in a cup and I just leave it in the tank change it every week. I also feed roaches once a week.

Thanks

Paper towel is good. You will have to watch to make sure he doesn't burrow under it and lay directly on the glass over the UTH though. Most of the time theres no issues with that but I have seen a few little ones on other forums burned from it. Glad to hear you are getting tiles! They are great and will last you forever!!

I use Rep-Cal supplements. They make all three that you will need and it seems to be the best. But Jurrasical is also good and they carry it at pet stores. Which ever calcium you decide to use make sure it is phosphorous free.

I like to feed leos a variety of roach nymphs ( eww) silkworms, butterworms and superworms (when they are big enough to take them of course) Feeders should never be wider than the space between their eyes and no longer than the length of their heads. Many people have raised theirs just fine on properly gutloaded and dusted mealworms and supers though. Oh I almost forgot crickets just because I hate them so much lol. But they are fine feeders as well.

The link is working for me. Maybe if I just post it without the fancy clickie stuff.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/Flexwatt-FAQ-sp-4.html

ok, hope that helps!

0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*

Thanks

Thank you SO much Prinnie!
    Crestopia Reptiles

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

You are very welcome! I am sure that little one will grow up to be a beautiful big healthy baby! ( They are all babies to me .. even my five year olds lol)

Ohh and I almost forgot. One of the great things about leos is they almost always poop in the same spot!! So, once you get your tiles down you can just put a napkin in their poop spot and clean up is a snap!! Just watch out for little calcium footprints all over the place!!

Oh and they need a warm hide.. the thermometer probe should be under there to monitor those temps. Of course we have already covered the humid hide thing. And a hide on the cool side. Other than that I think you are all set to go!!

0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*

Thanks

Sounds great. If I have anymore questions I'll pm ya!
    Crestopia Reptiles

Thanks

You're more than welcome to. Just don't ask about breeding, never done that before. I let Willow see Sabastian through the glass before and she darted off the table so fast I was super lucky I actually caught her. Allie is still juvie sized at four years old and Sabastian is huge so I never had that opportunity. I'm such a softie

0.1 Gargoyles Squishy*

Thanks

Hahahaha! Thats pretty funny
    Crestopia Reptiles