Thread: Help us decide what we should put in here!

Thanks

Default Help us decide what we should put in here!

We won this awesome setup from the Tinley Show today, but we don't know what to put in it. Its a 12x12x18 ZooMed with a waterfall.
    We're thinking about some sort of frog, or some other lizard or amphibian that needs high humidity. It needs to stay small enough to stay in this viv, and it can't be poisonous. Anyone have any ideas?

- Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

Green tree frogs? Ahaha.
    Amazon milk frogs are also pretty interesting. I know that all leaf tails need pretty high humidity, you might be able to look into those some more. Problem is that I know they can't handle really high temperatures though.

Thanks

If it wasn't for me and your amazing building skills most of this may have never happened lol. You didnt even know if you wanted to go... I'm glad you did.If you think about it you and I both got a good deal.
    Last edited by david57; 10-11-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks

Dave, we both made out like bandits yesterday You with your tegu cage, and me with the zoo-med tank we won. Plus we picked up the pinner I had been looking for and my Michelle got another dalmatian she was looking for and many other supplies for cheap/free. It was an AWESOME day.

Jateui - I'll have to check into both of those! I also read that poison dart frog are not actually poisonous when they are captive bred. So they could be an option as well. Michelle is just worried about them escaping and the cats eating them.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

I would definitely go with poison dart frogs!!! They are sooo interesting and vibrant and it looks like the perfect setup for them.

I have leaf tails and I had a water feature in my enclosure and got some serious "no's" when asked if it was appropriate for my mossy leaf tails from the forum Geckos Unlimited. If you want to check out that option more I would go check out that forum. They are very knowledgeable when it comes to any type of leaf tail....I am sure they could explain in more detail what might be good environmental features for set up for them better than I could.

I would highly recommend them though...they are really cool.

Good luck and great set-up!!
    6.10.6.7 Crested Geckos
    2.2.0 Mossy Leaf-tails
    1.2.0 Ball Pythons - 1 Pied, 2 Regular

Thanks

Poison dart frogs are actually poisonous due to the insects they eat, because said insects eat a plant that contains the toxins that make the frog poisonous.

I suggest looking around at importers and around stuff like kingsnake if you want to find a species you'd like. That will give you a basic idea of pricing for them, but I know that a lot of people won't have a live arrival guarantee with frogs, so it's best to try to find one as locally as possible.

Another thing to think about is if you want a lot of them, or just one or two. If I remember correctly, the Dendrobates azureus gets pretty fair sized. Yet, I think the D. leucomelas stay pretty small. Or you can always just google your favorite color and add "dart frog" after, ahaha.

Thanks

Thanks Jateui. So I guess it would make sense then that a captive bred dart frog that ate insects that did not feed on those plants, like a fruit fly culture or pinhead crickets, would mean they are not poisonous. Correct?

I think I am leaning towards them, but also was inerested in the leaftails. I'll have to so some more research on them as well. I am in no hurry to get something just to fill the tank.
    - Levi

0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

I personally prefer red eyed tree frogs, but its up to you. Leaf tails are cool too just make sure you get them from a good breeder.( but that applies to all animals)
    Always looking for advice.
    Crested Geckos 3.2.1

Leopard Geckos 1.1

Thanks

"mossy" frog?
    1.1.3 Crested (TreeTriger, Hotpockets, Yamato, Lysol, T-Mart )
    2.0 Housemates
    0.1 Beagle (Lucy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattleegee View Post
    "mossy" frog?
    I do love mossy frogs but I think they require more of a pool of water and my tank doesn't have that. Also it would probably not have the horizontal space they need.

I am now looking at Phelsuma (mostly Klemmeri and laticauda) as well as Lygodactylus Williamsi (Electric Blue gecko)
    - Levi

0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)