Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP...I rescued two geckos from a glue trap

Thanks

Default PLEASE HELP...I rescued two geckos from a glue trap

They are mediterranian house geckos (Hemidactylus triedrus) and still have glue on them....some feet look injured and have dropped their tails. Does anyone keep these and I am assuming they like dry hot areas...they live outside in AZ.

Please advice if you know anything...I am going to try oil on their feet to see if I can get some more glue off.
    Last edited by Tara Sharp; 10-09-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: included species name
    6.10.6.7 Crested Geckos
    2.2.0 Mossy Leaf-tails
    1.2.0 Ball Pythons - 1 Pied, 2 Regular

Thanks

Those little geckos are so fragile...good luck.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Thank you. I have them in little enclosures now on paper towel. I got most of the glue off. One has a mangled foot with a hunk of glue on it and the other has a chest wound.

I put fake folliage and a water bowl in there...they were both drinking...a lot so at least if they die it won't be on a glue trap in a 120 degree garage. I will attempt small crix tonight.

I found a care sheet and have gotten the humidity up. I am going to attempt tomorrow to try to get the rest of the glue off of the injured foot but for now I am going to let them rest.

Wish me luck!
    6.10.6.7 Crested Geckos
    2.2.0 Mossy Leaf-tails

Thanks

I hope they pull throw for you!! My prayers are with them and its so great of you to do what you can for them!
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Thank you!! I almost cried when I didn't think I could get one out....she was little and all of her body was on it, including her head....in case anyone comes across this....sand worked well at freeing them...it was a long process but I hope they pull through...I would love to release them back outside when they pull through!!!
    6.10.6.7 Crested Geckos
    2.2.0 Mossy Leaf-tails

Thanks

Prayers for the little gex and BIG HUGS for YOU!!!

I hope they make it!!
    Love and Light-
    Donna

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

Thanks

Tara, I've had this happen. My guy (crested) lived and is fine now. He had his whole body in the trap and half his face. His jaw was dislocated from trying to roll of of it.
    You need to wipe them of with some for of oil (mineral oil, baby oil even olive or vegetable oil). The glue will clog the skin if you don't. Get a tissue or paper towel dab it in the oil and rub it off that way. after your sure you've got as much off as you can put in a QT container. No dirt or loose particles, the skin will still be sticky and it will attach if you do. You'll want to keep the humidity up in the 80+ area till they shed. House geckos do like heat so bump it up and give them a good basking spot. Most like they wont eat for a few day but offer them some crickets in a bowl. You don't want crickets running around and making them more jumpy till they have settled down from there ordeal. Best of luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any problems with the oil or anything else.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Thanks for all the support guys!! Do you guys think I could put neosporin on the wound at all? or should I just leave her alone?
    6.10.6.7 Crested Geckos
    2.2.0 Mossy Leaf-tails

Thanks

How bad is that wound? you might be able to dab on a little neosporin with a Q-tip if you want, it may help a bit.

I'd be misting them often if I were you. Perhaps put in a small container, put in some damp paper towels, and just leave that there for them to use as needed. I kept a few house geckos before, and they used this little humid container when they were thirsty or needed help shedding. They should be fine for about two days without food. They'll be too stressed to eat anyway. If I were you, if you can handle it, try to take off the back legs of the crickets. Sounds horrible, I know, but it'll make sure that the crickets won't escape if you put them in a small container in there, and that the geckos can easily find them without getting attacked by escaped crickets.
    Or if you really are worried about the food thing, I've seen house geckos eat fruit before. You can put in small block slice of apple or banana. Take it out every day, but this will give them the chance to eat without being stressed about more moving things in their container. CGD might not be the best option since it can be messy compared to a piece of apple or banana (which wouldn't leave as much residue on the gecko if they happen to walk over the piece of fruit, compared to CGD)

Try to keep them warm, but in a darker area. Perhaps a closet? Or you can put a paper towel over part of the cage. Try not to check on them very often, even though it might be tempting to do so. Just try to check on them only when you mist or give them medicine, to avoid stressing them out further. Be sure they have a lot of areas to hide. Be sure you wash your hands like mad before you handle any other pets. They are wild caught, so they can be carrying parasites, mites, and other diseases you wouldn't want your other reptiles to catch.

Thanks

I just looked at the wound...it is more like a bubble of her skin sticking out....kind of like a hernia and they both have dropped their tails...one of them 2x. It might be from the glue pulling on her skin...it is not open though.

the other little guy has a glob of glue still on one foot that I cannot get off right now and his foot is mangled up in it.

I have one in a small kk and the other in a large deli cup with holes...I cannot provide uvb light with this (my house is around 75 degrees, but I could put them in the garage where it is about 90+ and dark)...I do have a 10 gallon terrarium with a slide top I could clean, put paper towel sub and fake decor for now...would that be better and put them in together?

Thanks for the help!!
    6.10.6.7 Crested Geckos
    2.2.0 Mossy Leaf-tails