Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a gecko and need some help please!

Thanks

Default Found a gecko and need some help please!

Hey, my name is Wes. I found a Gecko two nights ago, and I'm having problems with it. One, I'm sure it's a baby, so I know he or she needs to eat a lot, but my problem is he or she is not eating. I went to the pet store and showed the Gecko to him, and he said to feed it crickets. So I put 3 crickets in it's tank, but it won't go near them. Two, I think he's scared of me and the crickets, lol. So, any help would be appreciated.

I've also uploaded a few photos. I don't have a name yet because I don't know if it's a boy or a girl. Maybe I can get some help with how to determine the sex as well. Thanks a lot...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks

Where did you find it? state, city, and environment such as dessert. Is it some type of house gecko? Are the crickets tiny? no wider then the space between its eyes? you may also want to put a water dish in there, maybe a hide, like a box with a whole with a clean, damp sponge in it. You could also try small mealworms or wax worms in a dish. Hopefully others with more knowledge can help you out.? As to sex, I think it is still to young
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

I found it in Atlanta, GA. The pet store employee said it was a leo, and the crickets are smaller than the gecko, and it's about 2 1/2 inches long. I have a water dish in there too...

Thanks

That is NOT a leopard gecko.
    I am 100% sure.

Thanks

Kim
    3.0.0 cats - Bowie, Sable and Calvin
    2.1.0 Cresties (Callie, Corbin and Dallas)

My Photography Blog

Thanks

yeah a house gecko
    0.2.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus Pebbles & Radar
    0.0.1 T roborowskii
    0.3 Lepidodactylus lugubris lucy, lucy, lucy
    0.1 weiner dog(Phoebe)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Thanks...anyone have anymore advice?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wesgray711 View Post
    Thanks...anyone have anymore advice?
    Yea- never trust anything that pet store says
    If a pet store can't even properly identify something as common as a leopard gecko, there's a problem...

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about them, but here are a couple of caresheets. Hopefully someone on here has experience with them to help you out! Good luck

http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/652.html

http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/l...ouse-gecko.php
    ~www.CrestieCafe.com~
    4.4.10 Crested Geckos (Deku, Charmander, Zebes, Scampi, Gemron, Mocha, Tiramisu, Chozo, & the hatchlings)
    Eggs currently in incubation: 8

Thanks

I've had some before, they're quite interesting. That particular species stays pretty small, about 13 cm counting tail and around 6 to 7 cm from snout to vent (base of tail)

It might be easier to keep the gecko on just paper towel. It's easier for it to find crickets and much easier to get evidence of it eating. You can put in some fake plants in there, it's fun watching them jump around and catch their food. You may want to only keep a shallow dish of water (possibly just even a small plate or a bottle cap to one of those cheap plastic water bottles)
    You can try giving it some smashed up fruit like apple sauce, my house geckos actually ate it. So you never know, might be worth a shot.

Warning: They are VERY fast and definitely good escape artists! If you want to keep it as a pet, be sure that it can't escape from it's cage. They also tend to drop their tail way too easily, so you may not want to handle it. It's nocturnal, but having a light (that doesn't give off heat) on it during the day (or at night so you can watch it during the day) will help it have a "schedule" that it will come out during, so it's easier for you to watch him/her. They're hardy, I think for that particular species I've seen them kept from 70 degrees to 85 with no problems. You may want to just give it a light misting though, the extra humidity helps it shed and helps it cool down if it's warm. But in atlanta, for the most part, house temperatures should be fine for it. Even when it gets hot in the summer. During the winter though, you may want to find it some sort of heat source. Perhaps a low power heat bulb.

Thanks

lol i cant imagine living anywhere where there was such a thing as a 'common house gecko'. yeah. im from upstate ny. hes a pretty little thing though!
    i am the type of playa that hollas cause i wanna.