Thread: Tips to finding your lost gecko

Thanks

Default Tips to finding your lost gecko

So, over the time I've been here, I've seen a lot of people have their geckos escape. Sometimes they're just a master at squeezing through tight spaces, maybe they decide to defy the laws of physics, but whatever the case, I've always seen many techniques on finding them.

First, I will list off some I've personally tried with success.

First off, drawing them out with food tends to work for any animal.

If you have any of these vending toy capsules lying around, try to gather up about 3 to 10, depending on the size of the room you think the gecko is currently in. Pole holes in the lid, and put a cricket (preferably large) into the container. Tape the container closed so the cricket does not escape, and you might want to tie a bell to it or possibly loop some fishing string through the holes in the lid and tie it to something in the middle of the room, so you know where they're hopping off to. The crickets WILL jump, and trust me, it does make this thing hop. The large crickets will make sounds, which will attract the gecko looking for food.
    WARNING: If you lost a larger gecko, it might not be best to use the small capsules in case it can indeed fit it in it's mouth.
    It's also best not to use a very large one if you only lost a little guy.
    Medium works best.

The point of the crickets is to draw them out. Now, get little feeding containers and put in whatever their favorite FRUIT food is. If they like baby food as a treat, put a bit in one feeding dish and put it somewhere high, anywhere that might be a space that'd usually be hard for you to reach (such as behind heavy shelves) around the other gecko cages and near any particular spots that are more humid or warmer than the rest. If it's a crested you lost, it's better to assume they will want a good place to hide that's higher up. If you have a lot of boxes somewhere, assume they might hide around it AND DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING HEAVY IF YOU CANNOT SEE AROUND IT. You don't want an accident. Just place out the edible bait.

Second, familiarity. I've noticed quite a few people suggest putting out some hides like fake trees, vines, etc. around the house. I second this, but if you have vines with loops in it that you can hang off of something, try to hang it up on a nail or sturdy thumb nail somewhere fairly high. Remember it's quite possible for geckos to climb walls if there are bumps in that wall. However, they may fall since it tends to be a bit slippery, so make sure the vine is at least long enough for it to reach the ground, it makes it more likely that they'll climb it and feel secure in it.

If you have special lights that allow you to see in the dark without disturbing the geckos, use them. Those red heat bulbs are quite useful. If you have a night mode on your camera, that's even better. Avoid turning on the bright regular lights, it'll cause the gecko to try to go back into hiding. And be VERY careful opening the door and closing it. The gecko might try to climb up onto the door frame.

Check blinds, slowly and carefully move boxes, and set out more familiar things such as their used bedding or something on a paper towel in the corner of the room, their water dish from their container in another part of the room, their favorite climbing toy on another part, etc.
    Check the food traps every 2 hours at least to see if the food as been touched, it'll give you an idea of where it is, where it has been, and hopefully where it's going if it decided to walk through it.

Thanks

Remember, this is just my own technique on how I go about things. I know some people set out heat lamps and whatnot as well, but it usually depends on what time of the year it is to figure out if the gecko would go for it or not.

However, if anybody else has any comments or suggestions, feel free to speak up!

Thanks

Thank you for this! I really like the cricket idea. Thankfully, I have been able to find all of my geckos when they've escaped, but I know I've been lucky.

One note of my own - several of the times I lost a gecko, I found them up high and behind something such as a poster/bookshelf/etc.

And I want to second - be SO careful moving things, it is so easy for accidents to happen and they're so fragile. I've again been lucky when moving things, I've found them right under boxes, etc.
    .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Thanks

Yeah, the only escaped gecko I ever had was a gecko that literally flung itself from the egg and ran off. It jumped into a box full of spare gecko tank supplies I had (many of which are heavy) I was lucky that he was just chilling up top, but if he went down there, it'd be nearly impossible for me to be able to slowly remove things up top without things shifting, even if I had help.

Thanks

Thanks I still haven't found mine at my mothers house (she was babysitting) I will try these Thanks Again for all of the info!!!!

Thanks

I love the cricket balls! The way I do it is, I have a gecko room where they can't get out of. I go in at night and look around. often I find them by or on someone elses cage. During the day I often find them in unexpected places such as behind a picture, I could just see her tail, in the cricket dusting container, or snoozing in a box of assorted junk. Humm the best is make sure the ant get out of the room, or the *^*()# cats in.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

When my 6 year old lost his Gecko in the house we went to the pet store to get large-(noisy), crickets and meal worms to set some of these traps we read about. When we got home, he reminded me that on my old I phone that I had given him there, is an app for called "Sleep Machine" that makes cricket noise. Would you believe it worked! In 15 minutes it drew him out...oh well, have lots of food for him now!