Thread: Gargoyle Bonding Question

Thanks

Default Gargoyle Bonding Question

I have a question regarding bonding/breeding Gargoyles. I've read that juvies and babies are more likely to tail nip/etc than adults. I plan to breed my gargoyles next year, and I was wondering when would be a good time to safely introduce them? I would like to keep them together all the time, but also don't want dead geckos on my hands. Any advice appreciated.
    Abigail McDufford
    Wallflower Herpetoculture / iHerp

Thanks

I wait until the females are at least 20 grams before I try housing them together...but the closer to adult weight the better chance you have. Some will get along, some won't, so you have to watch them. I've had pretty good luck with my females. No real fights yet...but I have to watch it during breeding season, the males can get too aggressive.

-Andrea
    Visit us online at: www.crestedgeckogirly.com
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crestedgeckogirly21

Have YOU Hugged a Gecko Today?

Thanks

Make sure you rearrange the tank they are going into so no one has set territories.

I usually wait tell they are close to adult age. Right now I have 2 groups together and there is very little fighting, if any.

Good Luck
    JR

Thanks

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.
    Abigail McDufford

Thanks

If they are large enough to breed (around 20 grams) and are opposite sexes, you really shouldn't keep them together. They may end up breeding too young and you could damage the female.
    Babies are ok to keep together if you give them lots of places to hide and watch them during feeding of insects, this is when most tail eating accidents happen. Even if one does eat another's tail at a young age, gargoyles are proficient tail re-generators. As long as you make sure to separate them after the fact and keep the tailless one well fed it will regrow it's tail and keep growing in size at a good pace.
    Most of the time females are more aggressive, and tail biting is part of courtship behavior. I wouldn't say babies are more prone to biting as some adults can be extremely aggressive about territory, feeding, and breeding.
    Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus

Thanks

Thanks! So, for breeding, when should I put them together (weight wise)? Can they live together all year as ciliatus can? Or should I separate them once the deed is done? Thank you.
    Abigail McDufford

Thanks

If you want to avoid losing tails it would be best to seperate them because the male will continue to try to breed, and she will get grumpy. However, if you cool them or have a very docile female and enough hiding spots you may get away with having them together. But that's not 100% that they won't loose a tail at some point. I don't breed my gargoyles until they're no smaller than 40 grams, but I shoot for 50 grams at least for the females.
    Rhachic
    www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
    specializing in rhacodactylus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhachic View Post
    If you want to avoid losing tails it would be best to seperate them because the male will continue to try to breed, and she will get grumpy. However, if you cool them or have a very docile female and enough hiding spots you may get away with having them together. But that's not 100% that they won't loose a tail at some point. I don't breed my gargoyles until they're no smaller than 40 grams, but I shoot for 50 grams at least for the females.
    Thanks again. Mine have a ways to go but it is always good to know before hand!
    Abigail McDufford

Thanks

It's the males you have to worry about in gargoyles; they tend to be smaller and they tend to not grow as quickly as the females. Also, the females tend to be more aggressive. For instance; my breeding male just recently lost his tail due to his mate's aggressive tendencies. Allowing the geckos some extensive "alone time" by removing the male during the offseason is probably the most safe idea. The more time the animals spend together, the more chance you have of aggression developing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKorin View Post
    It's the males you have to worry about in gargoyles; they tend to be smaller and they tend to not grow as quickly as the females. Also, the females tend to be more aggressive. For instance; my breeding male just recently lost his tail due to his mate's aggressive tendencies. Allowing the geckos some extensive "alone time" by removing the male during the offseason is probably the most safe idea. The more time the animals spend together, the more chance you have of aggression developing.
    Thanks. My biggest female is a really slow grower, my male is already bigger than her but they are still only in the teens as far as grams go. I don't mind keeping them separate part of the year. Hopefully they will get along somewhat when I do have them together though.
    Abigail McDufford