Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Argentine Black and White tegu!

Thanks

Default My new Argentine Black and White tegu!

She's HERE! I am SO excited!

Alittle background: Argentine Tegus are one of the most docile, and intelligent species of monitors. They mature between 3.5 and 4 ft including tail. Males weight between 10-15 lbs, females 7-10 (the size of a small dog or housecat) they are also said to have the temperament of a good cat---once bonded with their caregiver they will seek out affection, and attention.

I got this baby from Varnyard Herps Inc. Bobby was an AWESOME person to deal with....his animals are all bred for temperament as well as color and size.

My new little lady is promising to be a very cool pet. she doesn't have a name yet, but I am working on correcting that.

Right out of the bag, she was very docile (might have been because she wasn't as warm as she would have liked ) But I held her for about 5 minutes with no problem. She was content to sit in my hand! I would have held her for hours if I didn't think she'd rather be under her light!

She is just STUNNING. I haven't ever handled/met a tegu up close and personal before, and I think she will break me in just fine.

I did an unwrapping video (wherein I look like a total dork!) and if I can get it to upload, I will post it. I was so excited my hands were just shaking! I couldn't get a good pic of me holding her really, because I needed two hands to steady the camera.

Just so ya'll know, she's also only around 10 weeks old. She's teeny compared to what she will be in a few months.

After class tonight, I'll be picking up a log hide or two to add to her enclosure.

Here are the pics!

(the ONE shot I have that isn't blurry-tastic before I set her in the enclosure)

Enclosure (its the giant exo terra 36 in Long by 18in Wide, by 24 in high:

Just after I set her down

GORGEOUS shot!

Close-up, look at that pretty face!

My tired lady--all worn out.

What is this thing called, camera? Can I taste it?

Look, I is not a tegu, I is a crested gecko!

SUCH a pretty girl!

She's SO beautiful! She's got a black nose too!

Thanks

What a cutie! I love your set up as well! Congrats!
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

VERY CUTE! It's amazing that such a small creature can grow to such an impressive size. She's amazing. I'm happy for you that you have such a cool animal. I love the shot of her on the wall... Made me laugh.

I hope you post photos of her as she grows! She needs her own scrapbook/photo album!!

Thanks

Ahhh nice I can't wait till mine comes. Did you see my Red Tegu. They are an amazing species

Thanks

I did see your little red. How old is it? Are you getting a B&W as well? I'm stoked to start bonding with mine! Its so amazing how intelligent she is.

Thanks

Mine is like a month and I get a 3 week old B&W next week. They are so personable and love people. Nice tank also. Perfect for one tegu I think as an adult

Thanks

It might work for her for awhile, esp since females are supposed to stay smaller...I'm hoping to have something nice and custom when the time comes.

Is three weeks a bit young for GUs? Wait--I guess not. That's just like, AS young as people will sell them.

How are you doing so far with taming? Any tips? You doing bin-feeding?

Thanks

Well the guy I got her from is Tegu Terra's Johnny LaRocca. He worked with the founder of tegus ( or the guy who brought them to reptile trade). His come super tame. I handle mine everyday just cuz I love it to death. They are really easy to tame and train if you give it time. Also you can feed both types any thing ( B&W will eat veggies and fruits not just meats). I feed mine cat food, tegu food, crickets, pinkie and raspberries and other veggies to give it a balanced diet. Tegus will eat anything and what they eat now is what they will eat when older so I want mine to like everything. The guy I got this from told me about how one of his wanted pizza so he gave it a piece lol.Tegus are just like a dog As for caging I am getting a 6ft by 4 ft by 18-20 in tall. Perfect for 2 and they love a buddy to live with. If you need any help talk to me or also TeguTerra. He is the best Tegu person out there that I know. Full of tips and tricks

Thanks

My girl came from Bobby Hill of Varnyard Herps Inc. Bobby is also a pioneer in the trade, he has a youtube account showing just how dog tame all of his breeders are. I've talked with him several times on the phone, and have shared lots of emails. He's also the creator of Tegutalk forums. Are you a member over there? I am, under the same name. Its a great site.

Today is day 1 for me and my girl. Tomorrow, after she gets breakfast in a different bin, I'm going to Tub with her, and see how we fare. That's the practice that I've heard works best when you first get them.

here's a vid I did this afternoon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgFN80zW4pM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meg90 View Post
    My girl came from Bobby Hill of Varnyard Herps Inc. Bobby is also a pioneer in the trade, he has a youtube account showing just how dog tame all of his breeders are. I've talked with him several times on the phone, and have shared lots of emails. He's also the creator of Tegutalk forums. Are you a member over there? I am, under the same name. Its a great site.

Today is day 1 for me and my girl. Tomorrow, after she gets breakfast in a different bin, I'm going to Tub with her, and see how we fare. That's the practice that I've heard works best when you first get them.

here's a vid I did this afternoon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgFN80zW4pM
    Never heard of him or that forum but I will check it out. I am unfamiliar with this Tub or bin method. How does that work out?