Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Should I use a heat lamp?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Should I use a heat lamp?

    Its starting to get cold where I live and I'm alittle worried about my crested geckos cage temps. I check on his cage temperature all the time (night, early morning, morning, afternoon, evening) and it has never went down lower than 65 at night but some mornings it stays to 65 until the afternoon. I'm just worried of using a heat lamp and the temp rising to a dangerous level. I have used a heat lamp before and sometimes it gets to 77 and i get worried of the dangerous 80 mark. I have 3 different watt bulbs so if I just used my 40 watt which increases the temp 3-4degrees would that be sufficient? The lamp is hanging above the cage about 12-14in up so the 40w doesn't affect it to much..I'm just concerned.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,177
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    65 as a low will be fine. No need for the heat lamp.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I really wondered about this myself as well, I use a heat lamp at the moment because we like to keep it chilly in our place. I have one mounted about 6 - 8 inches above the enclosure and it keeps the temp at a solid 74 - 76 during the day. At night I use a red bulb that keeps the temp around 70. I think this is ok... but I'm not 100%. I haven't cooked my little guy/girl and I don't think it's shivering at night.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Posts
    508
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 49 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Crested geckos can actually handle night-time temperatures less than 65. I'd say you are fine for now, but I wouldn't let it drop a lot more without having some type of alternate heat source.

    How large of a cage is the gecko in? If you put the bulb closer to heat one side of the enclosure, will their still be a temperature gradient that allows your gecko to move and escape the heat?
    Kyle J. Salzmann
    Check out Gekkonidazed Geckos on Facebook!
    www.gekkonidazed.com
    New to shipping reptiles? Use ShipYourReptiles.com and save! Enter code Dazed40 at checkout and get 40% off your 1st shipment!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    483
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psylocide View Post
    I really wondered about this myself as well, I use a heat lamp at the moment because we like to keep it chilly in our place. I have one mounted about 6 - 8 inches above the enclosure and it keeps the temp at a solid 74 - 76 during the day. At night I use a red bulb that keeps the temp around 70. I think this is ok... but I'm not 100%. I haven't cooked my little guy/girl and I don't think it's shivering at night.
    Those temps sound perfect to me. I wish I could keep mine around there but it is really hard in WI. Right now during the day it will reach into the 80's outside and be in the 40's at night (the outside temp, not the gecko cage).

    Also 80 should be fine for a crestie. Once it gets to be around 85 and higher, that is getting too warm for them.
    - Levi

    1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madtown Cresties View Post
    Those temps sound perfect to me. I wish I could keep mine around there but it is really hard in WI. Right now during the day it will reach into the 80's outside and be in the 40's at night (the outside temp, not the gecko cage). *snip
    Funny that you say that... because I live in South Dakota, and the temps are fluctuating very similar to that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salzy View Post
    Crested geckos can actually handle night-time temperatures less than 65. I'd say you are fine for now, but I wouldn't let it drop a lot more without having some type of alternate heat source.

    How large of a cage is the gecko in? If you put the bulb closer to heat one side of the enclosure, will their still be a temperature gradient that allows your gecko to move and escape the heat?

    So 65 is fine even during the day for long periods of time? And I can move the tank to one side slightly so that there is a gradient, the tank is a 12x12x18.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    3,076
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    I live in Buffalo, NY, 2 blocks away from the shore of lake Erie.

    In the winter, I sometimes use a 100 watt bulb for a bit of extra heat when the wind chill factor is REALLY LOW.

    You don't need to go out and get a special "heat lamp".

    Good old-fashioned white light bulbs work just as well for cresties, who don't need 80's and 90's to survive.
    Love and Light-
    Donna

    "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Posts
    728
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I keep my apartment at 65 at night and have never had an issue. When I lived in WI, 65 was pretty normal. My friend cools hers at 55 over the winter. No worries. They're hardier than we give them credit for!
    12.15.4.5 Crested geckos; 1.1 Gargoyle geckos; 1.1 Leopard geckos; 1.1 Fat-tailed geckos; 2.0 Viper geckos; 1.0 male dwarf rabbit; lots of fish

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Alright, thanks guys. I do have a heat lamp along with bulbs from when I had a leopard gecko so I'll just use those if the temp falls below the 65 mark, or if its been 65 for a long time, then Ill heat up one side of the tank to 70 or so. I guess they just like it cold!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •