Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you clean cages?

Thanks

Default How often do you clean cages?

I cleaned my tanks this evening and found a couple droppings that had mold on them.. I think this is probably bad!!

The cage was relatively clean except for a couple dropping here and there... Im using plastic tubs with paper towels and I disinfect the cages and everything in them when I clean.

Im wondering if I waited to long to clean the cages out

Does anyone have any magic tricks to cut down the workload when cleaning out cages.. I have six of them right now :th_woot:

Thx

Thanks

I have about 19 tanks and I do a few tanks every few days. They usually all get a full cleaning once a week. Meaning everything gets washed. Its time consuming thats why I no longer do them all in one day I do a few each days or every few days
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about disinfecting, igeek. Rinsing with water is usually sufficient unless you've had a disease or parasite in your tanks.

My vivs get a good glass spray and dirt stirring every 3 weeks or so. My hatchling KK's get done every 4-5 days and my interim cages maybe every ten days. The interim cages are 12x12x12 cubes with a potted plant and two 3-6 gram gex so it depends where they leave their presents, etc. When they poo in the plants, it disappears magically! After keeping fish for years, I am a big fan of using poo to fertilize plants and letting nature recycle the waste.

Sometimes poo can mold fast, esp if you have high humidity in your tanks. Definitely a sign to clean right away (or yesterday, really!).

Thanks

hey thanks.. for the helpful information..

I try to poop scope when I see new droppings or change out the paper towel.

does anyone else have suggestions??

MaddoxDobes wow 19 cages thats alot

Thanks

Yup, 19! and I got another 10 set up that are empty
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

I do a lot of spot cleaning myself. Remove poo when I see it, change the paper towel when it starts to discolor, wipe the glass down when it starts to get gross, and an all out tank cleaning where everything comes out every 4-6 weeks depending on how messy they have been. That has worked for me so far.
    The only thing that prompt an all out cleaning faster is if I miss some poo somewhere and the dang flies find it. (yuck!)

Thanks

I have about 40 geckos. Everyone is in their own enclosure (all sorts of kritter keepers and tanks and such) other than a few breeding pairs and two groups of double hatchlings who are in kritter keepers together. On the smaller tanks/kritter keepers, things get soiled/wet more quickly, so I change out the paper towel every time I feed (which is every other day). On my larger tanks, I do it weekly. Water spots are a problem here, but I don't scrape very often. I just recently took all of my glass tanks outside and scraped them with a razor this summer while I was on vacation.

Some of my geckos are more messy than others, so their tanks (even if they're large) may get the paper towel changed more often.

When I do my feedings (every other day CGD, plus whatever insects), I'll also grab out any large poo's I see laying about.

Thanks

I change the paper towels out at least 2 times a week and spray the cage down with Chlorhexidine and all furnishings at least once a week.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

Vinegar cuts hard water spots off glass easy as pie. Stinks something fierce but its better than using a razor imo.

Thanks

Talking

Hiya guys, i clean my viv glass every evening and spray them morning and night, i sopt clean any dropping from vivs or dead crickets when i do this an remove old not eatedn crested diet in the mornings, i totaly clean the vivs every few months or when needed as i do keep them pretty clean...i like it this way keep the vivs looking nicer and i beleive a healthy gecko too...after all i wouldnt want to live in a room where i had been to the loo....not that i would do that!!hehehe. x