Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ecocolumn cresteds

Thanks

Well its been a few days since the project was sealed up and I decided to put a crestie in and it died no no no no no just kidding I put a tarantula in and its fine its a rose hair since the place I went to didnt have pink toed. My teachers a real idiot she doesnt have and kind of list of exceptable animals the only thing that matters is it cant be a mammal (cuz the world cares about them more or something) and it has to be about the size of a quarter. The day our class sealed it up the teacher said one of her favorites had a gecko in it so the prople that forgot to get their animals might want to try that to boost their grade but the gecko died a few days later and she didnt seem to understand why. well thanks for the help ill tell you how it turns out with spider (yeah I named him spider)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduckey273 View Post
    The first responsibility goes to the teacher that came up with this project. They should have more limitations on what type of organisms are being experimented on.
    I've got to say, working at a pet store, I can't agree more with this. I HATE these "eco column"/"ecosystem" projects. They are remarkably high up on my list of "bad for my blood pressure". Every time a teacher or student comes in requesting these sorts of things--often with wild ideas like geckos or snakes--I get stressed out.

I usually try to convince them (more politely of course) of "look, these things really aren't going to be self sustaining, you usually end up with dead animals, if you REALLY have to do this and need an aquatic one, go with some anacharis/elodia and either snails or shrimp, if you HAVE to have a vertebrate, fine, feeder guppies. If you need a land animal, go with a millipede, hissing cockroach, whiptailless spider scorpion, scorpion, or tarantula. I'm simply not going to sell you anything else."

I've gotten mixed results with this; some teachers have actually changed their curriculum, thanked me profusely, and talked to other teachers at their school.

Some agree, saying "I really hate this project, but the school forces us to do the unit, thank you for your suggestions so we don't lose so many animals as we have in the past".

And the occasional one, like with any group, gets hostile, implies I'm no more than a register jockey and THEY are a TEACHER how dare I question them, and huff out to a chain store that will sell them whatever they want.

But I feel if I can get even one classroom or teacher to change their mind on this project, and save some animal lives, it's worth the ones that aren't so cooperative.

Quote Originally Posted by 1145838091nate View Post
    Well its been a few days since the project was sealed up and I decided to put a crestie in and it died no no no no no just kidding I put a tarantula in and its fine its a rose hair since the place I went to didnt have pink toed. My teachers a real idiot she doesnt have and kind of list of exceptable animals the only thing that matters is it cant be a mammal (cuz the world cares about them more or something) and it has to be about the size of a quarter. The day our class sealed it up the teacher said one of her favorites had a gecko in it so the prople that forgot to get their animals might want to try that to boost their grade but the gecko died a few days later and she didnt seem to understand why. well thanks for the help ill tell you how it turns out with spider (yeah I named him spider)
    I can't believe you'd even JOKE about having done it anyway and the gecko died. That's not funny at all. I am glad you decided against it, and that your spider is working out well, but.. yipes. Even joking about it is really tasteless.
    14th Street Geckos

Currently working with: crested geckos, gargoyle geckos; Gonatodes albogularis; leopard geckos, pictus geckos; Kenyan Sand Boas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wuukiee View Post
    I can't believe you'd even JOKE about having done it anyway and the gecko died. That's not funny at all. I am glad you decided against it, and that your spider is working out well, but.. yipes. Even joking about it is really tasteless.
    The kid is young and naive. I doubt he understands the attachment that many of us have to these animals. The best thing you can do is let it be and just be glad he was convinced not to put a little guy in there that could be seriously harmed.

The End.

Thanks

Your teacher is a real jerk. How could someone that stupid educate others? Thx for listening to the people here.

regards

Ingo
    4,14,x Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus Friedl Line
    1,1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli Nuu Ana
    1,0 Rhacodactylus cf leachianus
    0,0,3 Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus trachyrhynchus
    and some other herps ...

greetings from austria
    ingo
    www.napalm.at