Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecocolumn cresteds

Thanks

Default Ecocolumn cresteds

Well Im new to these forums kindof I used to have another name here but I forgot it So heres the new me! Well the reason Im on these forums again is because Im in high school biology and we are currently doing a project called ecocolums or bottle biology. We use two 3 liter bottles to create and aquarium and a terrarium which are completely sealed off from eachother and from outside air. So you have to have plants animals food for the animals and everything they need to survive for about a month. I first thought about putting frogs in there but then realized crested geckos would be like the coolest thing in the class. Well my question is how would this be accomplished? I do have a few limitations that are its only in a 3 liter bottle (I might be able to get bigger) the crested or cresteds would be babies kinda since they have to be smaller than a quarter and crickets use up all the oxygen too fast so no crickets. Would cgd last that long in a feeder without being touched or how about mashed up fruit? the temperature will be controlled in the classroom and I will be able to set the humidity up before its sealed so no worries about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

One thing, how would it breath? There would be no airflow and it would get quite muggy in there. Keeping a baby gecko on natural substrate and then offering live food is not a good idea. Im not 100% sure about this, but thats just my gut feeling.
    2.0.0 Crested Geckos
    -Stanley, Screwie Louie

RIP My baby girl Lilian, And now Ace my boy. I love you both...

Thanks

there will be plants in there so the crestie and the plants will be exchanging air and no it wont get muggy without being outside in the sun.

Thanks

oh and theres probably going to be no live food becuase its just a baby.

Thanks

this really isnt possible. Crested geckos need to eat at least every other day, and misted daily. And they would run out of oxygen quickly. If it is completely closed up, the gecko would die.

Honestly you would be better of doing something like a ghost shrimp, or other types of fresh water shrimps. They will feed off of the plant, and they dont use as much oxygen.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

well people have put snakes in theirs and turantulas (spelling?) and all sorts of things and they all survived. Theres really no way a baby crested could use up all that oxygen especially with the millions of plants ill be putting in there and this is just for the terrarium part I dont need any help with the fish part and they are completely seperated.

Thanks

but then realized crested geckos would be like the coolest thing in the class
    It would be cool until you ended up with the first dead project in the whole class.

I agree with everyone else, find something else to test out. Something that would be kinda cool is mosquito larvae. If you can catch some young they take a while to become adults. Not to mention if it fails for some reason all you did was kill a mosquito.

You can always go sea monkeys! Cheap easy and I am sure they would thrive in the setup you are describing.

Thanks

I would also try to put in enough food and food sources in there so the quantity wouldnt be a problem but do you think something like calcium dusted bananas and kiwi would dry up or lose its nutrients or rot in the month? And are there any plants that I could put in that the gecko would eat off of?

Thanks

The difference is that snakes and tarantulas can live quite a long time without food, we are talking months at a time. Do I suggest it? No, that is not good animal keeping to force an animal to live in a bottle, no food, nobody to clean their feces. I honestly think it is really cruel to do that. I personally just think this is a bad idea. Baby geckos need to eat often, and if not misted daily, and fed daily they will quickly dehydrate. And food doesnt last a month. Any fresh food you put in there will mold after a short while.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talkenlate04 View Post
    It would be cool until you ended up with the first dead project in the whole class.

I agree with everyone else, find something else to test out. Something that would be kinda cool is mosquito larvae. If you can catch some young they take a while to become adults. Not to mention if it fails for some reason all you did was kill a mosquito.

You can always go sea monkeys! Cheap easy and I am sure they would thrive in the setup you are describing.
    I think mosquitos would be kind of boring and this isnt an aquarium no water at all in the part Im asking about.