Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: building a cage

Thanks

Default building a cage

ok im in the process on building a cage for our crested
    and i heard that some woods are toxic to animals

i just used 2x4's for the framing and the stapled screen to the edges
    using plywood for the back and the bottom
    and the on the out side of the framing we have excess hard wood that im going to finish nail to the frame to make it nice and pretty
    then ill have a hinged door on the top and the front

will that wood hurt him?
    ive already got most of it put together but that really doesnt matter all i paid for was the screen, it was 5 bucks big deal
    i just dont want to get it all together have an awesome cage and then wake up one morning and hes dead from wood poisoning or some crazy stuff

thanks

Thanks

I don't know if building an entire cage out of wood is a good idea. Maybe someone on here has done it before though and can tell you how and if they did it successfully. I think the high humidity would not be good for the wood. I do have a wood frame in the front of the 55 gallon I converted, but that is a very small frame and it is in the front, so no water gets directly sprayed on it.

Alsao, I have a feeling this is going to get moved into the "Cages, Breeding, Feeding" section, since it is soley about caging.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

The wood will warp and from my understanding using water proofers tends to leave a toxic fume that lingers for months at a time. What did was I took an old entertainment center, lined the inside with adhesive shelf liner to protect it from water(siliconed all the corners to insure no moisture would get through). On the back I added pet screen which is plastic not metal, and the front doors are plexi glass.

I would say you could use the adhesive shelf liner but I dont know how well it would stick to plywood as plywood is not a very flat surface. But If the wood gets wet, it can warp, and grow mold quickly.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Madtown Cresties View Post
    I don't know if building an entire cage out of wood is a good idea. Maybe someone on here has done it before though and can tell you how and if they did it successfully. I think the high humidity would not be good for the wood. I do have a wood frame in the front of the 55 gallon I converted, but that is a very small frame and it is in the front, so no water gets directly sprayed on it.

Alsao, I have a feeling this is going to get moved into the "Cages, Breeding, Feeding" section, since it is soley about caging.
    My mom made a cage completely out of wood. HUGE cage... I'll attach a pic in a minute

I can't see it on these computers since I'm at school and the pic is from my space... Let me know if you guys can see it though!

Thanks

You can't use pine, cedar, or any pressure treated wood, I would use aquarium silicone for sealing cracks. I purchased a custom built cabinet and converted to a Golden gecko enclosure. I covered all of the surfaces with polycrylic, let it dry for 2 days then coated everything in Great Stuff. You have to make sure you aren't using anything with a mold/mildew preventive- it will be toxic to your cresties. I would recommend, once your enclosure is complete, that you let it air out for at least 48 hrs.

Thanks

I play it safe and use melemine for all my cageing purposes. It can withstand the high humidity as long as you seal the edges.

Thanks

hmm see that was my concern its not completely wood its just a wooden frame with pet screen
    i thought it would look really nice and then i read about the pine and cedar
    and if im correct 2x4's are made out of pine
    im not sure about the plywood
    and sorry bout the post i didnt even think about putting it in caging and feeding
    was more on safety of my gecko

but thanks all

Thanks

Home depot does sell plexiglass and glass if you wanted to build it that way

Still probably cheaper way to go is get on craigslist and score a unwanted tank or even convert a large
    Tank into multiple tanks (75, 55g)
    1.1.3 Crested (TreeTriger, Hotpockets, Yamato, Lysol, T-Mart )
    2.0 Housemates
    0.1 Beagle (Lucy)

Thanks

I just looked into using melamine as tiedyegecko suggested. It is very cheap at Home Depot and would be able to withstand the humidity because it has a white, platic-like coating on it. I think I may try this for my next cage project. Thanks Tiedye!
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

Welcome. We had done out iguana cages out of it and we love it. We had just used partical board before and it was so hard to clean blood and seman off of. There urine also ate huge holes in the bottem. I love the melamine so much more but it is heavy. All of our cages are on wheeles anf if there little cages there on a melamine made platform with wheeles on it.