Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: garg x cresty? has it been done?

Thanks

Default garg x cresty? has it been done?

ok so i just found out about all this cross breeding stuff
    and its really interesting to me
    put aside all the right and wrongs for a minute
    i guess if you wanna bash go for it, its the web

anyways saras x cresteds and chahoua x crested i read all about yesterday
    it has to be one of the most amazing things i have ever seen, really
    papers on selling hybrid geckos would be a must if you want a pure bred
    look at it like dogs dont get all flustered
    if you must have true bloodlines, go by the papers, or go to New Caledonia and catch it yourself
    besides its all in the love of your gecko not what breed it is

so my question is have gargs and cresteds been breed yet?
    is it possible? if so id like some photos because these are some beautiful creatures and one day id like to own one of each hybrid and non-hybrid

Thanks

Somebody "produced" one on Geckos Unlimited a while back...It's back legs were facing the opposite direction, and so had to be culled. So as far as I know, it hasn't been done successfully.

Your post is a little unclear, I'm trying to follow the point you made about pure bred dogs? Different breeds of dogs aren't hybrids, because dogs are the same species.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

I read this and all I could think of was the Island of Dr. Moreau.
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sushigex View Post
    Somebody "produced" one on Geckos Unlimited a while back...It's back legs were facing the opposite direction, and so had to be culled. So as far as I know, it hasn't been done successfully.

Your post is a little unclear, I'm trying to follow the point you made about pure bred dogs? Different breeds of dogs aren't hybrids, because dogs are the same species.
    Is there a link to that post? I would like to check it out.

Thanks

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/commu...ss-hybrid.html

Here you are, the thread is rather long.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B&BK1017 View Post
    besides its all in the love of your gecko not what breed it is
    There is a fundamental difference in the words "hybrid" and "breed". True, there are hundreds of different dog breeds, but every one of those dogs, from the smallest chihuahua to the largest great dane is considered exactly the same species: Canus lupus familiarius. So, when dogs of two different breeds are crossed, the puppies are the exact same species as their parents; now they're just mutts.

Now, when two different species are crossed, a hybrid is generated. Some common examples of hybrids are mules and ligers. So, a crested gecko and chahoua gecko breeding would produce a hybrid offspring, because two different species have been bred. Hybrid animals are typically sterile due to the mismatch of chromosomes from each parent and may have genetic defects and developmental problems, even if they appear healthy. Hybrids are extremely rare in the natural world; most of the typical ones we recognize are orchestrated by human intuition.

This fundamental difference between hybrid and breed means that hybrids can NOT merely be handled in the same way as registered dogs, because one is introducing not merely different forms of the exact same genetic code (breeds) but different genetic codes entirely (species). More often than not, hybridization of species (which is more often than not for the better good of humanity, not for the good of the species in question) ends up polluting the original gene pools of the parent species. For instance, the American Bison was hybridized with the domestic cow to produce the beefalo, in an attempt to generate a better quality meat. Unfortunately, many of the hybrids were allowed to breed back into the parent bison genetic pool, almost completely obliterating the purely genetic American Bison.

I don't mean for this to sound as if I am jumping all over you, but your statement could be confusing to newcomers to the board who are asking the same questions as you, and I'm just hoping to clear up some definitions and give people a better understanding of the consequences.

Thanks

Thank you ShadowKorin for the awesome explanation! You put what was in my head on paper and made it make sense. Thanks.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

I actually posed this question quite recently to an expert in the field who has done a lot of DNA sequencing within the Rhac genus. He said that the inability to produce crestedxgargoyle hybrids stems from the fact that cresteds and the gargoyles are distance relatives and therefore [probably] have incomplete genetic compatibility. Cresteds and Saras and Chahouas are more closely related and considered to be sister taxa.
    Kevin and Steph
    http://www.sadlerreptiles.com
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks

thanks guys i was just curious to see all the hybrids out there it really interest me
    i would think i would be awesome to cross all the species that are possible and i was a little off about the dog thing those are breeds not species
    i was just going more on about the whole paper thing
    if hybrid geckos get that big in the world each one should have a paper on it
    and if the buyer is worried about the bloodline the you would want a paper right?
    it would make the breeding world more complex but also more competitive
    idk how much people would like that and i guess im talking a little out of my ass i only own two and dont breed any im just saying this hybrid thing amazes me and one day i do plan on owning one of each

what got me into geckos was leopards
    and all the different patterns that you got from breeding
    of course leopards are by far not the most interesting fun loving gecko to me
    cresties i fell in love with
    and now im just finding more and more that amaze me
    i dont want millions because i cant take care of that many unless i can run a zoo of some sort in like 20 years (what a dream right, zoo of hybrids...lmfao)
    but still the whole science of breeding these animals and coming up with the different colors and spots and now were coming up with whole new species
    im sorry it just makes me smile really it does

and dont get me wrong i dont want to just breed them i love them to
    my oldest crestie sits on my shoulder all day while im at home and loves it
    never wants to get down
    anyways yall take it easy

Thanks

But the difference is with leopards and with cresties in regard to colors and design is...
    Those are different MORPHS. Not SPECIES.
    You can SAFELY attempt to create different morphs by arranging different colored creatures from the same species. Getting a desired color/pattern and trying to keep breeding for that same color or pattern by carefully picking out a mate that might compliment that color or pattern to make more babies possibly like that.

But mixing species???

That's creating something entirely different than color or pattern. That's like...creating little frankensteins that may or may not be able to function.

And it ruins the pure gene pool for the rest of us, honestly.

I cannot buy from a breeder who is into the whole hybrid thing because I could never trust that the gene pool hasn't been messed with and that what I'm getting from them is 100% pure...species.

Keep gargs gargs, cresteds crested, and chahouas chahouas.
    Breed, within the same species, for desired colors and morphs.
    It takes much more talent to create a new morph than to cheat and cross species together to make little frankengeckos.