Thread: Should I cool?

Thanks

Default Should I cool?

Hi guys,
    Well I recently bred another female (Mango) a couple days ago, I realized that winter is coming up and it'll probably start getting colder towards November (low 60's). I am going to naturally cool my other females around that time. Should I cool my female (Mango) along with them? That would mean that I'll only be allowing my female to lay at most, 2 clutches. I currently keep my geckos in a reptile room. I was thinking when november rolls in, I could possibly keep Mango in my bedroom where the temps can be kept around 75-78F via a heater. Should I just allow her to cool after 2 clutches or should I let her lay until about February and then cool her till about late April/early May? When do you guys usually pair your cresteds up? I hear most people pair their cresties up during late spring or beginning of summer, at least that's what I've done. Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate it!
    -Johnny
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

I've never put females together with males so late in the season. I would figure that she would cool naturally and just retain the sperm until spring when she starts laying again. You may also have a hard time cooling her if you keep her warm enough and so she'd be laying all winter, which could be harder on her system.
    My vote is to cool her naturally and see what happens, so her body can get a rest. Either that, or don't breed her in the spring (or at all next year) and let her finish her season naturally. But she'll need a rest either way, or you'll end up risking her health.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Yea, I'm thinking just to let her cool naturally and she will retain the sperm which is fine. I'm aware that it's a lot smarter to do so and healthier for the gecko too. I was just wondering if I should let her lay, but I'm sure she can retain the sperm till spring. Thanks Sallie, I just needed some confirmation on what I should do. I was leaning towards cooling her naturally in the first place. Thanks again
    -Johnny
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

I would go ahead and let her cool, she may still lay a clutch for you. This way she breeding season isnt thrown off and isnt still trying to lay eggs as spring rolls around. Also if she does lay a clutch or two for you, you can focus on raising those babies before the season actually hits and you have alot of eggs on your hands. Amd as Saille said, she may retain some of sperm until spring time, I had females do that before and lay right away at the start of spring before they were introduced to their males.Bit be sure you have an egg laying box in there with her just in case so if she has eggs she can lay. But I personally start introductions around March.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thanks Melissa and Sallie, So far I'm 3-0 in terms of cooling and allowing her to lay. Thanks again!
    -Johnny
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

I agree, let her cool. If you don't cool her it would throw off next season. I would cool her, and then start her up again when everyone else starts.

Good luck!
    -Armen