Thread: Having issues cooling female

Thanks

Default Having issues cooling female

I had purchased a gravid female earlier this year and let her finish laying eggs. I have gotten 4 clutches out of her and have decided my basement is just the right temp to start cooling. It's maintaining at 65 degrees right now and she has sucsessfuly stopped laying but heres the issue. Sense shes stoped laying she has dropped a huge amount of weight. She has just stopped eatting completly sense she was put in the basement. She was 47 grams when this all started shes now 27. This has only happened in the past 4 weeks. I called the breeder to ask how he cooled her last year and he said " What do you mean cool her?" I explained it and aparently he's never cooled any of his geckos. Should I warm her back up so she will start eatting again? Any other opinions?

Thanks

Warm her up and get some entamoeba fix ASAP. Thats more weight loss than you would see with not eating alone...
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

Shes already been treated. I treated right before cooling and she got her last dose while in cooling. So you think warming her up will be the safest way to go? What if she starts laying again?

Thanks

I'd treat her again, make sure she's handfed this time to make sure she gets the maximum dose. She's lost 50% of her body weight, and unless half the original weight was eggs/food, she's gotta be super skinny right now.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

Shes not super skinny theres still a bit of weight around her rib area. I always hand feed when I feed the e-fix. I'll treat her again and see what happens.

Thanks

Warm her up a bit maybe to high of 70.
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

I moved her back up stairs and the temp is at 72. Shes already cleaner her bowl. Hopefuly it's high enough that she will continue eat and low enough she won't lay eggs again.

Thanks

Yea hopefully! Keep us updated. I'm kind of in the same dilemma. I have 4 juvie geckos that are somewhat growing kind of slow. When winter comes, I need to cool 2 females and the temps will stay around 65-68F. These temps are great for cooling but since the females are in the same room with the juvies, it could cause the juvies not to eat as much. Higher temps = encouraging of metabolism and feeding. So I'm not really sure what to do either. I want to try and keep the temps high enough where the juvies will eat and low enough for the females to stop laying. What a headache! Let me know if you've figured something out
    -Johnny
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about cooling her, she will do so on her own, it is only august... When she runs out of sperm, she will for sure stop laying. Happy to hear she is doing better with the warmth
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com