Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new crested/changeing diet question

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sweaters View Post
    Why does everyone flip out about baby food?? Its just a mix for about TWO days and then they're off of it forever.Is it really worth getting upset over? It worked for me, and I don't understand the problem. I know everyone is trying to help but it makes me look like a bad pet owner and I feel like I take just as good of care of my geckos as anyone else. Plus I'm following advice given to me by multiple pet shops with experienced workers. Why is this a bad thing to do?
    I don't see anybody flipping out, all I see is a couple people giving sound advice. There is no benefit to using babyfood when the gecko will switch cold turkey.

Newsflash, people at petshops usually don't know crap and if they do it's usually about other species than the ones you're keeping. Now don't think I'm talking down on petshops, because I'm not, but do you really think they can be that knowledgeable and experienced about every species that arrives and leaves the store?

Thanks

I just felt that saying nooo nooo is a bit over the top. You could just say, "not the best idea." And I don't know about other pet shops in different places but when you say you're not trying to put down pet stores, you kinda are when you say "they don't know crap." I'm not trying to start conflict, I just was trying to help somebody and I thought I had the knowledge to do that. I have had a successful breeding season with 100% of my eggs hatching in a medium dubbed to be "not appropriate"(soil). I guess what I'm saying is not everything that you hear is perfectly accurate, and I understand the concern that the geckos will be stubborn and want the baby food, but this worked for me, as did my hatching medium and I was just using my first hand experience to try to help people out who are having a hard time. I spend most of my days watching over my geckos and checking my eggs and temperatures and making sure everything is great for them. I love them like I do the closest friends I have and I guess I didn't enjoy hearing that I am doing something "wrong." I don't want to be the one person on here everyone is upset with and thinks that I can't take good care of my cresties. I hope we can throw this one behind us. To anyone who read this whole thing I hope that you understand how I feel and won't look down on ol' Mr. Sweaters everytime I make a post. Thanks for everyones feedback, I know everyone is just trying to help, and thats what I was trying to do as well

Thanks

I honestly believe that Maddox wasn't trying to bash you. Many petshops (not all but most) usually are in the business to sell and move their stock quickly. I once went to petco and they were selling a "crested gecko" when really it was a leopard gecko. People now a days just don't care about the health or well-being of crested geckos. Well all know that crested geckos are stubborn haha. They will try to hang onto baby food for as long as possible before they have to switch. I experienced this with one of my males (Casper), he was fed crix and cal/vit supplemented baby food his whole life. I was told to mix babyfood with a little bit of CGD. Over time I lowered the levels of babyfood and my crestie noticed it! It was really frustrating, after he started noticing the lower levels of babyfood, he rejected the CGD for 5 weeks straight, not one divot in the bottle caps. I was told by a fellow member to just show tough love and that ultimately time was the key. I then bought the cherry 2 part mrp and within 3 days, he started eating. Even though it was really small divots like in a golf ball, I was jumping around. As time progressed, he started eating cap loads. He started out at 23 grams and 13 months old. Now he's around 35 grams and 18 months. No one can really tell you what to do, in the end its your call ya know? Most people here wouldn't speak condescendingly to anyone, there's a lot of respect here. People do tend to misinterpret things though, trust me, I have done so many times Ultimately we all have the cresteds in mind , so lets all make peace! lol
    -Johnny
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

I don't see what the point of using baby food for two days would be. That isn't much of a weening off of it. If anyone would use it to ween their gecko into a CGD diet, I would assume they do it for longer then two days. I guess that was my assumption and I would not recommend that.

Baby food is not just smashed fruit, it also has a lot of sugars and other stuff that is not good for your crestie. Yes, some people have had success, but I think it is just easier to do it cold turkey and not have to develop a new bad habit to break an old one. Just my honest opinion. Try the 2 part diet if they don't take to the regular MRP right away. I'm going to this week, so I will let you know how it goes. Hope your crestie makes the transition okay.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

Sorry you felt bad Mr Sweater, He was not be insulting, we all just really feel strong about it. As many of us say, crested gecko diet is for Crested Geckos, baby food is for babies. And though feeding sugarless baby food in not intrensicly wrong, the fruit you are giving them is not native to the crested environment, and there for does not have the proper nutritional values. Giving the crestied baby food, is like feed a baby Icecream

Please folk, baby food is for babies, Crested Gecko Diet is for crested geckos.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Thanks everyone for being so nice about this. It was a misinterpretation on my part and I'm glad it's understood that it happens. Thanks to all, hope to see some rhac people in white plains comin up