Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new crested/changeing diet question

Thanks

Default new crested/changeing diet question

hi, i just got a new crested today it's my second one she is for sure a female i got her at petco and she is in perfect condition completely healthy and fat in a good way. And she is practically an adult i'm guessing from her size

i have two questions
    1. She has been fed crickets all her life how do i get her to eat the cgd?

2.she is sharing her home (20gal) with a 3 1/2 inch frogbutt is it okay that i have them together she is really gentle when i got her she was housed in a 5gal with 3 hatchlings and 1 about the same size as the frog butt.

unfired:
    http://tinypic.com/r/2vt9mif/3
    http://tinypic.com/r/2mc6nhs/3

fired-up her sides become a bright red and her pattern turns a really nice yellow the hatchlings from what i can tell already shed so they were so cute they had a yellowish dol, red tiger with really great contrast, and an olive color one all of them including mine where $49 each

also um idea what morph she is?

thanks in advance for the advice

Thanks

I would suggest weaning her off crickets cold turkey, until she'll eat the CGD. She won't starve herself, she'll figure it out.

Personally I would not keep her with the smaller gecko. If they don't get along and for some reason she decides to be territorial it could be trouble. Though it's hard to see how close they are in size - weights would help a lot. Do you have a gram scale? I would advise that you get one, if not.

She's a pretty girl! Probably a harley, she looks pretty patterned in the second shot but it's a little hard to tell when she's so fired down. Congrats on the new addition!
    .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Thanks

Hi Jackie,
    Do you have any crested gecko diet(CGD) at home? If you haven't done so, I would dab some on her nose and see if she likes it. If she does, put some CGD in a bottle cap in her cage. If she doesn't like CGD, I would cut down to feeding crickets once a week and offering a bottle cap of CGD everyday. She might be stubborn but if she's healthy enough, she'll eventually come around. I would also remove the 3 1/2 inch frog butt and put it in a KK(kritter keeper) or some sort of 5-10 gallon tank. Your adult female might bully the smaller baby. Petco usually feeds their crested geckos dusted crickets w/ CGD in a bowl. (well atleast in my area) As far as the morph, I would say that she is a harlequin and a pretty nice one at that. Keep us updated!
    -Johnny
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

Thank you tangerine crest for stating what I was going to type out. I personally would say harlequin. A flame might have a little bit of side patterning that goes up a 1/4 of the rib cage while the harlequin travels further up and to the sides including the mottled pattern on the legs.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

lol no problem Leif!
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

Thanks you all for the advice i am going to move the little one to a criter keeper until i can get him his own home next month as for the female i have completly taken her off crickets and will see how she does with the cgd thanks again!

Thanks

You could get a sugarless baby food and have her eat that by itself, then mix it with the cgd. Keep feeding her the mix and slowly switch the proportions until you've got just the cgd and she will be fine. I had to do this to get one of my first ever cresties to eat the cgd, as he had previosly been fed only crickets. If all else that you tried didn't work this may be helpful.

Thanks

Nooo nooo noo, Do not mix baby food with CGD. She will take to the CGD all by itself. Its flavored and she defiantly will not starve herself. Please do not use baby food!
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

I agree with Maddox, I would not go the baby food route. It just starts another bad habit you have to break her of. I'm trying to break my new 4 off of a baby food/CGD mix from the previous owner, and while they are all very healthy it has been a little hard for them. They can be very stubborn sometimes

You should try getting the 2 part diet to see if that helps with the transition. I heard it can be a little sweeter and having different flavors may entice them to eat the CGD quicker. I just ordered some and it is on the way.

Good luck.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

Why does everyone flip out about baby food?? Its just a mix for about TWO days and then they're off of it forever.Is it really worth getting upset over? It worked for me, and I don't understand the problem. I know everyone is trying to help but it makes me look like a bad pet owner and I feel like I take just as good of care of my geckos as anyone else. Plus I'm following advice given to me by multiple pet shops with experienced workers. Why is this a bad thing to do?