Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High temps ruined my breeding season?

Thanks

Default High temps ruined my breeding season?

My breeding season has been a complete failure, with a zero percent hatch rate. I have hatched out 4 geckos before (2 clutches) the season before that, but I only had one pairing (and didn't have the female laying for long) so I kind of consider this my first season and not the last one.

Anyway, this was my first summer in this apartment, and it got HOT. It is a teeny apartment, so it doesn't take much. We don't have an A/C. Shame on me for not buying one, I know, but money has been tight and I have done what I could without one to keep the geckos cool (misting several times a day, ice packs, etc). Not one of my geckos had issues, but I know for a fact that it hit 80 degrees in the house most days, or even low 80s sometimes. This is of course a peak temperature I'm talking about... not like 80 constant. I have gotten plenty of eggs (three breeding pairs going), and every single clutch has been laid about a week short of a month and undercalcified. Every single egg thus far has gone bad. One of these females is proven (and never laid undercalcified eggs for me in the past) and the other two are new breeders this season. Sometimes, even though the eggs are undercalcified, I can see the cheerio shapes in them, and they kind of expand, but then shrink and lose their shape (become blotchy and bloody loking), and then the eggs go bad.

My question is, do you think I am losing the eggs to the heat? All of my geckos have been fine, but are the eggs more sensitive to the heat? I guess I assumed that if the heat was what was killing my eggs, then I'd be having problems with my geckos, too.

But it doesn't make sense that THREE of my females are having this problem.... What the heck.

All of my geckos are fed CGD every other night (breeding females get CGD every night) and dusted crickets once per week/week and a half. After my females lay eggs, they are given some dusted wax worms.

I can't figure out the problem here, but it's just so diappointing.

Thanks

My question is, do you think I am losing the eggs to the heat? All of my geckos have been fine, but are the eggs more sensitive to the heat? I guess I assumed that if the heat was what was killing my eggs, then I'd be having problems with my geckos, too.
    I don't think it was the heat imo. My apt spiked up to 87 ish and averaged about 82 the whole month of July and part of August and I have had a decent hatch rate even with first season mothers.

That would be very disappointing. I hope next season is a better one for you.

Thanks

I don't think 80 would do that much damage. Its gotten as hot as 82 here and I haven't had any problems yet.
    I can't really think of anything else that could be the problem because you are doing everything else right.

Are they all with the same male? Do you supplement the females with any other calcium other than the CGD?

Thanks

The heat isn't that bad. Last year I had my eggies hatch and the temperature was pretty constantly at 80 degreess., Something else is going on with the mothers if they all have undercalcified eggs. Maybe addeding extra calcium with D3, to the CGD?
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Just two questions come to mind, what are you feeding and how are you incubating the eggs?
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

What many of us have experienced, is that higher than normal temps have delayed, interrupted, or otherwise put off egg LAYING, but not had much of an impact on the development and hatching of already-laid eggs. More discussions on the heat are here
    14th Street Geckos

Currently working with: crested geckos, gargoyle geckos; Gonatodes albogularis; leopard geckos, pictus geckos; Kenyan Sand Boas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhacsetc08 View Post
    I don't think 80 would do that much damage. Its gotten as hot as 82 here and I haven't had any problems yet.
    I can't really think of anything else that could be the problem because you are doing everything else right.

Are they all with the same male? Do you supplement the females with any other calcium other than the CGD?
    Two females are with the same male, and the other female is with her own. Sometimes I add some extra calcium to their CGD, but I try not to overdo it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Just two questions come to mind, what are you feeding and how are you incubating the eggs?
    Feeding CGD (breeding females get it nightly) and dusted crickets once per week or so.

I incubate my eggs in old Country Crock butter tubs that I cleaned out (large size). Three holes are punched in the center of the lid. My medium is perlite. This has worked for me in the past.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhatfield View Post
    The heat isn't that bad. Last year I had my eggies hatch and the temperature was pretty constantly at 80 degreess., Something else is going on with the mothers if they all have undercalcified eggs. Maybe addeding extra calcium with D3, to the CGD?
    I was associating the undercalcified eggs with them laying them a week or so early each time, and associating that with the heat. But maybe that is nonsensical, I don't know. I could add some extra D3. Do you think I should? I'm just afraid of overdosing... you know how much you hear about not overdoing the D3 on these forums.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talkenlate04 View Post
    I don't think it was the heat imo. My apt spiked up to 87 ish and averaged about 82 the whole month of July and part of August and I have had a decent hatch rate even with first season mothers.

That would be very disappointing. I hope next season is a better one for you.
    Thanks! I don't know whether I feel better or worse that it might not be the heat. I felt terrible that, just because I didn't scrape up the money to condition my apartment properly, maybe I killed ALL of those babies. But then, what else could it be? I'm doing everything right, as far as I know.... I know two of these girls are first time breeders, but one laid like 3 clutches and the other has laid... well, only one so far. So we'll have to see how that goes this time (she is due again soon). My other female has laid about 4 clutches like this.