Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Feeder Insect:

Thanks

Default Best Feeder Insect:

Hi All,
    I want to pick up some roaches (possibly) at the next months show. But before I do, I want to do a little research.

Right now, I am feeding CGD and crickets just about once a week. I don't give the adults crickets very often, I usually use crickets for juvies and the other species that need crickets.

I was wondering what roach has the most protien and which one do the cresteds/chahoua/eurys/strophs accept the best. I have all four species right now, and eurys/strophs will probably be the smallest specie I ever keep.

I've heard lateris are the highest in protien but I also know they fly, so could they escape and re-produce?

Also, how often do you guys offer insects to babies/juvies?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!
    -Armen

Thanks

I have only tried B. Latts and did not like them! They are VERY fast and I think they are dirty!
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

I don't care for the lateralis. I keep breeding them anyway. I've never seen one fly so i'm not sure where you got this info. I perfer dubia more than anything.

Thanks

Thanks guys!
    Which have you found the easiest to breed?

Thanks!
    -Armen

Thanks

I just got a colony of 100 dubia about a week ago and I couldn't be happier. They don't smell, are relatively slow for a roach, do not climb or fly, and thrive on neglect! While they do not offer the highest amount of protein between the different kinds of roaches, they are not lacking either. They are my prime choice and recommendation.

Here is a nice article I found with lots of info on feeder insects of all kinds.

http://nagonline.net/Technical%20Pap...02MODIFIED.pdf
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

Thank you for the info.

The link didn't work!

Thanks

Dubia i think is the best feeder roach out there the only draw back is that they take awhile to reproduce and they dig but once you get a good colony going they just take off.

Laterails are good to but they are just to fast for some animals. These breed like crazy.

Both you can keep in room temp but around 89 to 90 they will take off in breeding.

Thanks

Try this. Should open a PDF file, so you would have to have Adobe. If it doesn't work maybe I can just post the numbers.

Edit: Couldn't get it to work, sorry.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

The only downsides for me with b.dubia is that they love to hide and they are on the larger side for small geckos. Don't get me wrong, if you have a full reproducing colony you will have all sizes. But for your hatchling strophurus and eury's the nymphs are probably going to be a little large still. I have a bearded dragon and larger leachie to dispose of dubia winged males, larger chewies and other adult rhacs could probably handle them too.

I don't have a ton of experience with lateris but I'm not sure they can truly fly proficiently. I've actually seen a male dubia flutter it's wings in escape but I wouldn't call it flying. I think you'll find that both roach species are far superior than crickets as far as meat to shell ratio; I don't have the figures but I would imagine the protein variances are negligible at best.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

Okay! TO make up for my previous flounder of a link, here is one that works. Gives a good reference and also gives nutritional content fo many different feeder insects.

http://www.theroachguy.com/new_page_1.htm
    - Levi

0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)