Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crickets Only???

Thanks

Default Crickets Only???

Hey, my crested gecko doesn't seem to eat much of his CGD(yellow lid by Repashy and T-Rex). So I heard u can feed them only crickets...which he loves and instantly goes into insane hunt mode and eats one after the other, like 6 at a time, probably more if I put more in, but afraid its too much. I put CGD in his cage every night with hopes that he'll eat it and crickets once a week...what if he isn't eating the CGD? Is this a problem??? I bought him from a breeder about a week and a half ago. He has always loved the crickets but doesn't seem to eat any of the CGD? Is this a problem??? Also...is he eating the CGD but its just too little for me to notice??? Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Crickets only is a bad idea as it can lead to MBD and cresties are not insectivores. Your crestie could be eating the CGD and be eating so little that it's not noticeable to you. I highly suggest cutting out the crickets all together until your crestie is eating the CGD regularly. By eliminating the crickets you'll be able to tell if the crestie is eating by monitoring poops and it's weight.
    0.1.0 Crested Gecko (Beowulf)
    1.1.0 Gargoyle Geckos (Craven and Poe)
    0.1.0 Cat (Natalie)

Thanks

Is he small? Little geckos don't have big tummies so you may not notice that they have eatten. If he is not eating the CGD you should stop feeding ceickets until you are sure he is eating CGD as it is more important than crickets.

Feeding only crickets is not OK! They need the CGD.

Thanks

Just keep dong what you are doing. And I would leave the CGD in over two nights because some of the prefer their food "aged" and only give him crickets once a week for now. It is not a good idea to feed them just crickets, it would be like us just meat. we can survive but we will be missing a lot of important nutrients.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

No matter how hard it is make the switch to cgd only, its a proven food source to have a healthy crestie

I would also note if you absoultly have to feed a cricket make sure its gut loaded and used with cgd
    1.1.3 Crested (TreeTriger, Hotpockets, Yamato, Lysol, T-Mart )
    2.0 Housemates
    0.1 Beagle (Lucy)

Thanks

Default Thanks guys

Ya, thanks a lot for all the responses. I'll try the 2 nights in the cage and make sure it doesn't mold. And yes, he is pretty small about 3-4 months old. I'll lay off on the crickets for about another 2 weeks...and I do gutload them and feed them cgd and calcium/d3. I'm thinkin about using a little protein too, even tho they are a natural form of protein, a little more can't hurt. Thanks again.

Thanks

Just do cold turkey. I have a male who ate only crickets for 4 years of his life. Took quite a while to get him to finally switch to CGD, was a pain to get him to, but now he eats it fine.
    3.6.3 R. ciliatus; 0.1 R. leachianus; 1.1.1 G. gecko; 1.0 G. ulikovskii
    0.1 Heterodon nasicus
    1.1 Eumeces schneideri; 0.0.3 Bombina orientalis; 0.0.2 Archispirostreptus gigas

Thanks

Default lol

alright, I should be fine on the supply of Repashy 1 step CGD. I just got 8 pounds of it in the mail, lol. It saved me about 60 bucks if I'd buy it one after the other.

Thanks

You said calcium with d3? If your feeding cgd you don't need to add extra d3 to there diet unless your feeding crickets more than 2 times a week.

Thanks

Oh really? you don't have to dust crickets if you only feed them once a week with regularly every night feeding of Repashy CGD? I don't feed the CGD on the night I feed the crickets.