Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping the Cresteds together

Thanks

Default Keeping the Cresteds together

Right now I am keeping 5 cresteds together in a 55 gallon. Their ages do vary but none of them are adults yet. Here is a picture of what the setup used to be.

This home is temporary, but I would like to hear your suggestions for dividing them. I am considering putting a few sheets of plexiglass in as dividers. I have had them together for a few months and I have had no problems [they climb over each other as if they were family ( well the two older ones are, I think )]

Also I have another 55 gallon and a 10 gallon. ( but i dont have room yet). I think I may build some shelves and put some vertical 10 gallons on there but I'm not sure. I'm not stingy but I also don't want to spend a bunch of money.

Thanks for the help.
    Always looking for advice.
    Crested Geckos 3.2.1

Leopard Geckos 1.1

Thanks

Maybe I should have named the thread Differently, but if anyone could provide some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Should I separate them?
    How Should I go about doing that?
    Any other Tips?

Right now they are all on a diet of dusted crickets and CGD. ( I'm not sure if they are all eating it)
    Crested Geckos 3.2.1

Leopard Geckos 1.1

Thanks

1. Yes you should seperate them you kinda answered your own question on that one. with your not sure if they are all eating it. Its easier to monitor on whos eating and whos not if you kept them indivually. Also having different ages and sizes in one tank you might get some bullying going on that you dont know about.

2. You can split your 55 gallon into 4 sections or even 5 if you want. You can use plexi glass for dividers. If you got 2 smaller ones you can split your 10 gallon in half also.

3. You need more ledges and plants for your crested gecko dont have enough for them to climb around on.

Thanks

can you give a general idea how large your geckos are? juvi's can be kept together with minimal fighting rate, but any larger should be separated. and 10 gallons is not ideal for an adult gecko. they're going to grow fast once out of the juvi stage so i would suggest you plan your new set up for adults.

edit: just spied the guys in the fake plant, still juvi's.
    -jULIE-
    forget zoo, i'm feeding a small army
    Black Ink Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poke View Post
    1. Yes you should seperate them you kinda answered your own question on that one. with your not sure if they are all eating it. Its easier to monitor on whos eating and whos not if you kept them indivually. Also having different ages and sizes in one tank you might get some bullying going on that you dont know about.

2. You can split your 55 gallon into 4 sections or even 5 if you want. You can use plexi glass for dividers. If you got 2 smaller ones you can split your 10 gallon in half also.

3. You need more ledges and plants for your crested gecko dont have enough for them to climb around on.
    1. I know they are all eating. None of them look sickly but im not sure which ones are eating the majority of CGD.

2. This is a good idea. Never thought of splitting a ten gallon.

3. I have plenty of ledges and plants, That picture was fairly old.

I'm not trying to be defensive, I'm sure I could have explained myself better the first time. I'll upload a picture of how it looks now.

Crested Geckos 3.2.1

Leopard Geckos 1.1

Thanks

Concerning one part of your OP:
    they climb over each other as if they were family
    Just keep in mind that we don't know why they climb on each other (aside from mating) and saying it's like they're family is anthropomorphizing them. They could very well be doing that to express dominance for all we know. Separating them now is a good idea especially if you do not know what sex each is.

Some juvies get along for a while, some start biting tails no matter how much space you give them.

Thanks

Thank you all for your advice, I am going to separate them. But the reason I made this thread was (mostly) to get some ideas on how to separate them.
    Crested Geckos 3.2.1

Leopard Geckos 1.1

Thanks

Heres two really good threads on making dividers for a 55 gallon tank.
    This is a more permanent way of doing it. For adults I would have only split it into 2 or 3 sections.
    http://pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28996
    With this way you can divide it into a million sections.
    http://pangeareptile.com/forums/show...=crestie+condo

I've tryed the 2nd one and i'm in the prosscess of trying the 1st one.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks

I just split my ten gallon in half, here is a picture. I put it diagonal because I didn't want to cut the plexiglass and I thought it would give it a unique look.

Does anyone know how long should I wait for the silicone to cure? ( I thought it was a day but I'm not sure)

I didn't put the stickers on the cage, it was from a garage sale.

Crested Geckos 3.2.1

Leopard Geckos 1.1

Thanks

Usually cures between 24 to 48 hours. After 48 hours if the smell is still there then its not done curing.