Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult breeder cages?

Thanks

Default Adult breeder cages?

Hi all,
    As of now, all of my adult breeding groups are kept in Steralite bins with proper ventilation. I really don't like this set-up very much, and although I can still watch them, I just would like to have nicer cages for them. The only reason I haven't gotten nice cages for them is because I don't have the money for it but I do want to do this soon. My breeding groups consist of between 1.1-1.4 geckos. I was wondering what you guys think would be a good size cage for these groups and how much a nice cage would run. I want something that opens from the front. I would also use a half screen/glass cage, It doesn't really matter to me, I just want something nicer!

Thanks!
    -Armen

Thanks

Well you can go with exo terras which are very nice, they open in the fronts and dual doors. Or glass aquarium tanks. If your planning to buy alot of each see if they can give you a price break.

If your good with tools you can always build a custom enclosures to your liking.

Thanks

I use aquariums turned on their sides with screen lids (kept in place with cage clips).

The nice thing is that you can usually get the tanks used for cheap...and the screens too if you look in the right place.

I use the hinged screen lids, and I think they're wonderful.

I also use Exo-Terras...but all of these I've bought used and gotten great deals on.

I do also have a few of the screen/acrylic cages that reptiledepot sells....

I guess I have a variety...lol...but they all work well. The screen/acrylic I paid the most for, but they are also the easiest to move around and clean. The exo-terras are freakin heavy! But, they look the nicest.

-Andrea
    Visit us online at: www.crestedgeckogirly.com
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crestedgeckogirly21

Have YOU Hugged a Gecko Today?

Thanks

I've got two girls in an exoterra that is 18x18x24....somewhere along the line, they might get another room mate, because there is definitely extra space. I have an 18x18x18 for a lone male, and two other aquariums 15-20 gallons each, also for lone males. Go on craigslist. You can get 10s, and 20s, pretty cheap.

I like the exos better, because you can go from the front, instead of the top (like predators usually do) I have found them better for getting a hold of flighty geckos.

Thanks

I use 20 longs for pairs/trios and 29's for trios/quads. I can't keep more than 3 females in a group or I can't keep track of who's laying what... simple aquariums will cost you 30-50% less than exo-terras. I will probably upgrade to exo-terras someday, but for now this is what I use.

All the aquariums are laid on their sides to get maximum vertical space, and I use wal-mart suction cups and silk plants for decorations. Paper towel substrate works very well, and cleaning is a breeze!

My only difficulty with this set up is finding locking lids that are easily managed when used sideways. I have cats, so STURDY locking lids are a necessity that can't be overlooked, hence my dream of someday using all exo-terras.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

I use paper towel, and yeah It is a lot easier. Are exo terras the cheapest glass cage that open from the front? I want to get something like an exo terra but I know they are very expensive.

Thanks!
    -Armen

Thanks

People have been posting those acrylic atriums lately...I haven't used them myself, but they have an exo-terra feel without the weight or the cost...

That's all that's coming to mind atm...

-Andrea

Thanks

You can go with martymade glass enclosures. I'm sure you have seen them at the Taylor Show his are better and cheaper than exo-terras. They have dual sliding glass doors in the fron with a screen top. Or you can get these from sandfiredragonranch.com for $65.00 each. They're 16x16x23 and have white pvc on the sides back and bottom with screen in front and on top. Here's a picture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dman2047 View Post
    You can go with martymade glass enclosures. I'm sure you have seen them at the Taylor Show his are better and cheaper than exo-terras. They have dual sliding glass doors in the fron with a screen top. Or you can get these from sandfiredragonranch.com for $65.00 each. They're 16x16x23 and have white pvc on the sides back and bottom with screen in front and on top. Here's a picture.

These are the ones I purchased from reptiledepot...I love them.

-Andrea

Thanks

yeah I've seen Martys stuff at the shows, he's got great stuff.
    I e-mailed him earlier today to see how much he charges for what I'm looking for.