Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dubia roaches

Thanks

Default Dubia roaches

Hi guys,
    I currently have some dubia roaches and had a couple questions. Do any of you guys use a heat lamp rather than an UTH? I realized that with a heat lamp, the temps do seem to spike up to 100 degrees F which in turn drys up almost everything. Which leads to a humidity issue. Do any of you guys mist to keep humidity up? I tried spraying today and almost all the roaches came out to drink the sprayed water. I think because of the heat lamp, the water crystals seem to dry out much faster which is probably why they are so dehydrated. So going back to it, do any of you use heat lamps? If so, how do you guys maintain humidity? The temperatures for the roaches usually stay at about 90-102F on the hot side and about 80-88 on the cool side. I have them in a 68L tub, one adult pair and about 150 mixed nymphs. I've cut a square on top of the rubbermaid about 10 inches screened over with fiberglass. Initially I had about 100 mixed but over the last two weeks, it seems as though there are quite a few more roaches. I'm also a bit confused because I can see debris on the floor which looks to be the shells of the dubia. There are some that have died off but most of them seem to be the shell/shed. I think it's called molting (sp?). Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated!
    -Johnny
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

I keep mine in a 66 quart tub with a 100wt red bulb on top with no venilation. My roaches love to drink the water droplets no mater what. I mist them every day 2xs a day once in the morning and once at night. My temps are a bit above 100 under the basking area. I have over 500 roaches in this set up. Yeah I have to water them more often but it's only once every 3 days. My humidity was too high when I was using a under tank heater and I got mold.

Thanks

I just ordered some and they are on their way now. I was planning on using a red heat bulb but I think I am going to use an under tank heater instead. Just seems easier.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

Thanks Tiedyegecko, that was very helpful info. I was thinking about that too, misting twice a day, morning and evening. I also replace the food and crystals every 2-3 days. Nice, good to know there are others doing it the way we do as well. Haha.
    Levi, yea I think it just depends on certain climates as well. I live in a very dry climate out in San Bernardino, CA and I constantly have to spray whether I use a UTH or Lamp. It does seem easier to just use a UTH which is probably why so many people follow that set up, but as for me, I find that it's too humid with a UTH, so I switched over to the heat lamp.
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

Do they need light?
    Would a ceramic bulb be ok for heat?
    I'm getting one started here in the next month
    Throw more tips out there to help the begginers!
    1.1.3 Crested (TreeTriger, Hotpockets, Yamato, Lysol, T-Mart )
    2.0 Housemates
    0.1 Beagle (Lucy)

Thanks

from what I've heard, they don't need light. They thrive off neglect haha. I think a ceramic bulb would be ok for heat. As long as it's 60w-100w. Make sure it's a night bulb (red) so it doesn't disturb them.
    Johnny C

Way to many to list

Thanks

They need heat in order to breed tehy won't breed in temps under 100 degrees. Tangerine why do you change the food so much? What are you feeding?

Thanks

They will TOO breed in temps under 100 degrees.
    Mine do.

But, yes, I use a heat lamp.
    I have metal screen on the top of my lids over the hole which allows me to place the lamp right on top of the hole.

I use old CGD which seems to moisten them enough.
    I do not mist them as I fear mold starting.
    Moisture + heat=mold, most times.

Mine reproduce.
    I'd say their enclosure is in the high 80's-low 90's.
    I use a 150 watt ceramic heat emitter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbecca;
    They will TOO breed in temps under 100 degrees.
    Mine do.
    I agree... 100 degrees is not only unnecessary for breeding, it is probably too warm for optimal breeding. If you have a 100 degree hot spot and the dubias have the ability to thermoregulate to a lower temperature they probably will do OK, but if the whole tub was 100, this would not be good.

Have to remember that these are tropical roaches, not desert roaches. They live in a relatively moist and filtered sun / shaded environment. High temperatures in this environment probably run in the mid to upper 80's rather than temps approaching 100.

Mine start to breed prolifically once the temps reach the mid 80's. If I want to slow them down, I drop them into the 70's. I have used UTH for years with good results.

Gary
    Gary Hamann
    Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Thanks

I just thought of a question regarding the UTHs. Can you use these on the plastic sterilite bins I see so many people keeping dubias in? I have never used a UTH so I don't know how hot they get. I would be concerned about melting the bin.

Thanks!
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)