Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding stopped

Thanks

Default Breeding stopped

So this is really bugging me. All of my females have stopped laying eggs and I don't mean 1 or 2 but ALL. It's still hot here and they should all still be laying but I haven't found an egg in over a month and I was finding eggs on a pretty constant basis. All females are holding weights and all are eating well.
    My temps aren't reaching any extremes, it doesn't get over 80 in their area and gets down to low 70's at night. I have never had any problems with breeding but this is all of a sudden and none have layed or are even digging.

I am really at my wits end on this one.

Thanks
    JR

Thanks

Most of mine have stopped at this point as well. All of my gargs have stopped. I'm putting it up to temperature fluctuations. They are all starting to cool.
    As long as your girls aren't obviously holding any eggs and you can't feel anything on an abdominal exam, all should be well.
    Its better to have the girls to cool on their own than try and force them to cool.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

I was just about to post a thread about this, too!

All my girls went off their normal production cycle from mid July to now, including girls that lay every 30-31 days like clockwork. No one laid eggs when I expected them to. Everyone has missed at least a month. A couple of the girls have started producing again--I found my first eggs in 6 weeks today, and a couple of the others are palpably gravid.

We had some really extreme heat during that time frame, and while I did my best to cool the tanks down, and had no losses, I'm chalking off the odd production schedule to the abnormally high temperatures.
    14th Street Geckos

Currently working with: crested geckos, gargoyle geckos; Gonatodes albogularis; leopard geckos, pictus geckos; Kenyan Sand Boas

Thanks

Yep I haven't had an egg since early july

Had the same problem here we got some insane heat. We set the all time hottest days 3 days in a row.

Thanks

Mine have stoped as well.

Thanks

Last clutch laid for me was August 10th from Ellsa it was her 5th clutch
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

what is the typcial season for laying? is it by the owners temp they keep them at?

i just got my two and previous owner said they didnt lay at all before
    last night they where making a bunch of noise and caught them going at it...
    1.1.3 Crested (TreeTriger, Hotpockets, Yamato, Lysol, T-Mart )
    2.0 Housemates
    0.1 Beagle (Lucy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattleegee View Post
    what is the typcial season for laying? is it by the owners temp they keep them at?

i just got my two and previous owner said they didnt lay at all before
    last night they where making a bunch of noise and caught them going at it...
    Last year, my girls started laying in late Feb/early March, and naturally stopped producing eggs on their own in late September/mid October. That was my first season, so I don't have a whole lot of data to go on, personally.

What's weird is they clearly haven't "cooled" for the year, after missing a month to six weeks, one laid again last week, and several others are gravid again. So it's not normal end-of-season cessation.

My guess is their instincts went "this is not an optimal time to reproduce, the climate is too harsh" and stopped producing eggs, or reabsorbed what they had, until the weather was more in their natural range.
    14th Street Geckos

Currently working with: crested geckos, gargoyle geckos; Gonatodes albogularis; leopard geckos, pictus geckos; Kenyan Sand Boas

Thanks

Cornelius laid last night after not laying since late June as well. I thought it was a bit odd but figured she's almost done, last year she laid her last clutch earlyish in September and stopped until March.

It was pretty hot here as well, the tanks didn't get any hotter than 78 but it was hella humid in here even with the AC going.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

Well not sure if its a good thing but since the temp has dropped and I have been able to keep them lower through out the day, my males have been back to mating. I caught them both last night going at the females. Also I have 2 females digging in the lay box so who knows maybe they just stopped during the hot weeks and maybe going to lay another clutch before cooling.