Thread: Switching mediums?

Thanks

Default Switching mediums?

I never really thought about it, but do you think its possible to switch eggs into a different medium after already being in one medium for over 60 days and 20 days? Would that stress the eggs or benefit? I currently have two clutches on perlite, but just got some repashy super hatch clay medium and was wondering if I should switch due to how the perlite needs to be constantly monitored due to it drying out quickly. What do you guys suggest? Thanks.

Thanks

I would wait on them. 60 days, almost there,you may cause them to hatch early. You still do need to monitor the hatchrite, it will dry out as the other does.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Personally, I don't think it would cause any problems. I've moved eggs to re-moisen the medium, so I don't see why moving them to a different medium would case any problems.

Good luck!
    -Armen

Thanks

I Have done that with leopard gecko eggs many many time - not a problem at all
    Anne Veng
    1.2.1 garg + a lot of leos
    http://www.malibugecko.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joli View Post
    I never really thought about it, but do you think its possible to switch eggs into a different medium after already being in one medium for over 60 days and 20 days? Would that stress the eggs or benefit? I currently have two clutches on perlite, but just got some repashy super hatch clay medium and was wondering if I should switch due to how the perlite needs to be constantly monitored due to it drying out quickly. What do you guys suggest? Thanks.
    I agree with the guys who say "go for it". There is no bond between the egg and the substrate, and if the new substrate is easier to maintain at the proper moisture level, it's all good.

Personally, I would be sure to move the eggs without rotating them, so the side that was on top before is still on top afterwards. I haven't seen any evidence that this is important with cresties, but it IS important with some herps, so better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

Thanks

Thanks so much for all the responses. I decided to try the new medium and the eggs seem to be just fine. I really like how easy the clay is to monitor, rather than perlite. Hopefully all goes well and I'll have some hatchlings soon