Thread: Floppy Tail Syndrome

Thanks

Default Floppy Tail Syndrome

Can floppy tail syndrome be reversed? I have a female that I think has it. When she is facing down her tail sometimes flops over to the side.
    Jeanne R. Leary
    Jeanne_leary@yahoo.com

Thanks

I've not heard that it is reversable.... it's from accumulated time of hanging on the sides of the tank.... unless you can teach it to curl a mini barbell and build up the muscle! (And I'm just assuming it atrophied muscle).

Thanks

Floppy tail sydrome (FTS) is caused by the deformity and/or rotation of the hip girtle and results in a weakening of the tail muscle structure in response to hanging upside down. It is not reversible because it involves the deformation of bone, not just weakening of the tail base and length muscles. The plus side is though, according to all reports I've seen, it rarely effects breeding capabilities. The only known deterent for FTS is lots of folliage and hides, though that is not always a guarantee either. This is just a speculation of mine, but I think the reason why FTS is so prevalent is because in nature cresteds are tailless by adulthood. I know the one crested I have with no tail, sleeps upside down all the time now, since it lost its tail.
    Honor and valor were long ago drowned by the very society they swore to protect.

8.10.9 Crested Geckos
    1.2 Gargoyle Geckos
    1.1 Tangerine Phase Albino AFT's
    0.3 Peach Phase Albino AFT's (two are striped)
    1.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.2 Viper Geckos
    1.1 Yellow-headed Cape Geckos
    0.1 Panther Geckos
    There'll be more, just you wait and see

http://www.celticisle.com/infernal_star/

Thanks

I recently had to make one of my female cresteds drop her tail because she also had a severe case of floppy tail. I hesitated for a while before I worked up the nerve and took and pair of feeding tongs and applied a lot of pressure to the tail until the tail started twitching and she finally dropped it. I did it because it's better for the gecko in the long run, from what I hear it can and will eventually lead to a deformed vertebrate. Now she can hang upside down all she wants!! I even put the twitching tail to good use by feeding it to one of my leachies! lol!
    I'm definitely relieved that the tail is off, and I'm sure the gecko feels the same.
    It is truly an upside-down world we live in where lies are truths, criminals are our nations’ leaders, and Satan’s minions are considered men of God.

Thanks

Definitely not caused by weak muscles, my girl Helix has a bad case of FTS and her tail is still so strong that she can catch herself falling and dangle from it. Good luck. If it gets too severe i would consider doing what Sven did. (I tried it and Helix decided to keep hers.)
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies

Thanks

Ya, I should have said "can lead to muscle weakness" instead of does. My fault, forgot a word
    Honor and valor were long ago drowned by the very society they swore to protect.

8.10.9 Crested Geckos
    1.2 Gargoyle Geckos
    1.1 Tangerine Phase Albino AFT's
    0.3 Peach Phase Albino AFT's (two are striped)
    1.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.2 Viper Geckos
    1.1 Yellow-headed Cape Geckos
    0.1 Panther Geckos
    There'll be more, just you wait and see

http://www.celticisle.com/infernal_star/

Thanks

Thanks for all the GREAT posts! Fortunately hers isn't that bad. I have a bunch of fake plants and some wood in her cage, but she seems to rather hang out on the glass. I will keep an eye on her o see if it gets worse, and TRY to make her drop her tail if it gets bad (Not sure I could actually do it though....LOL )
    Jeanne R. Leary
    Jeanne_leary@yahoo.com

Thanks

should females with FTS be bred? Is there a chance that will be passed on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpynutz View Post
    I recently had to make one of my female cresteds drop her tail because she also had a severe case of floppy tail. I hesitated for a while before I worked up the nerve and took and pair of feeding tongs and applied a lot of pressure to the tail until the tail started twitching and she finally dropped it. I did it because it's better for the gecko in the long run, from what I hear it can and will eventually lead to a deformed vertebrate. Now she can hang upside down all she wants!! I even put the twitching tail to good use by feeding it to one of my leachies! lol!
    I'm definitely relieved that the tail is off, and I'm sure the gecko feels the same.
    How do you make a gecko drop thier tails? Hope I never have to do it, but I am curious.

Thanks

Wow! I need to learn how to read!!! Thanks for the info