Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: natural vivarium.. cleaning?

Thanks

Default natural vivarium.. cleaning?

Hello everyone! I have a vivarium I planted up originally for wc holaspis lizards. However these have since died or escaped (disappeared somehow). It has been about a year since they were in there, and I have since redecorated: added new plants, glued in a corkbark background, glued in some larger branches, and added a new thick top layer of cocofiber over the dirt. The only living thing in there still besides the plants is a whole bunch of dwarf white isopods in the dirt.

Anyways, my question is.. is this cage safe to use for new reptiles? I have some wc uroplatus phantasticus in quarantine that I am intending on putting in this cage. I can't really bleach clean the cage, and taking all the plants out is something I am hoping to avoid.

Here's a picture of how the cage looks now, in case anyone was curious:
    Last edited by Srakha; 08-08-2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: wrong picture xD

Thanks

Idk, But that tank is gourgeous
    Ain't got time for the future or the past.
    Live for the moment, make it last.
    -
    C.O.B

O.2 Bearded Dragons. (Lily, Izzy)
    2.2 Leopard Geckos (Igor, Trogdor, Eyeball, Sandbox)
    1.1 Dogs (Tip, Sadie)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn20003 View Post
    Idk, But that tank is gourgeous
    Thank you! I can't wait for the jasmine in the back to grow in more.

Thanks

Check your room. I had baby Chalcides escape and now have adult Chalcides loose in my room. Plus they survived the free range box turtle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Check your room. I had baby Chalcides escape and now have adult Chalcides loose in my room. Plus they survived the free range box turtle.
    Heh.. I did.. they are long gone by now. I have a lot of live plants in my room, I'd have seen evidence they left as they tried to bask Thanks though!

Thanks

Invest in some Clorihexadine cleaner it's so safe to use you can use it on your animals. Matt sells it here on the pangea store. It's worth every penny.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiedyegecko View Post
    Invest in some Clorihexadine cleaner it's so safe to use you can use it on your animals. Matt sells it here on the pangea store. It's worth every penny.
    That is a good idea! Do you think I can just spray the whole cage down with that, including the dirt and plants?

Thanks

I wouldn't spray the dirt i'd turn it and mix it around. Maybe put a layer of eco earth onto. You can spray the leaves just dab them dry. I love the stuff. I'm using it now on a friends gecko with nacrotic tail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiedyegecko View Post
    I wouldn't spray the dirt i'd turn it and mix it around. Maybe put a layer of eco earth onto. You can spray the leaves just dab them dry. I love the stuff. I'm using it now on a friends gecko with nacrotic tail.

Ah ok. Well the dirt got turned a bit and added to when I was planting new stuff in there, and then I added that layer of eco earth.. so that's done. I can just cover that with some plastic tarp or something when I'm spraying the leaves and branches?

Thanks

You can probly get it on the dirt just don't soak it. If anything just lay some paper towel down on top.